Sand in My Eyes (Chapter 144)

(Morning August 29th)

*Your POV*

Waking to the sound of an alarm set so early. The day of the beach with friends has finally arrived. After spending the last few days hanging with Makoto and others, you were looking forward to this event. Getting a small backpack with your swimwear, you exit your house and proceed to the station. Your phone rings, and you pick it up.

Makoto: Hey! I am going to be late by a small amount, but I don't mind letting everyone know.

You: Sure, I can do that, but you could have said it in the group chat?

Makoto: About that, I thought it would be better if you explained it to them.

You: No problem. Is something the matter?

Makoto: Just some last-minute things I need to take care of, anyways I got to rush this so talk to you later, bye love you!

You: Love you too.

The phone hangs up, and you put it away. Wondering what the issue behind her delay could be. With a heavy sigh, you take a moment to let the train sway you back and forth. Until you feel a gentle tap on your shoulder. Turning around to face them, you spot the vibrant red hair of Kasumi.

Kasumi: Hello Senpai!

You: Kasumi? What are you doing here?

Kasumi: I am heading to the beach, I figured today was a nice day to relax while enjoying the sea breeze.

You: How funny, I am just on my way there to meet with my friends.

Kasumi: Oh, that is wonderful; I got a couple of friends too I will be meeting. Mind if I tag along with you until we get there?

You: Don't see why not, I could use the company.

Kasumi: Perfect!

You: How's your break been?

Kasumi: Busy. I've been really doing a lot of my gymnastics and studying.

You: Yeah, I wondered how you were doing. I'm sorry I haven't been around to join you, as I said. I got a new job, and that has been a priority in my life.

Kasumi: What do you do?

You: You might have heard me in the news?

Kasumi: Huh?

You: I've helped arrest a couple criminals with the Detective Prince Akechi?

Kasumi: OH! You mean?! You're the Junior Detective, the "Ace" Detective!? That's you?!

You: That's right! However, I've been thinking too much attention is getting a little worrying.

Kasumi: Don't be like that! I heard you stopped a political assassination!

You: I mean, I had help, but I guess I did.

Kasumi: Everyone at school is going to be all over you.

You: I hope not. I can only stand so much attention before I have to be rude.

Kasumi: I wonder how Akechi deals with his fame.

You: I think he is better at embracing it than I am. He does a lot of talk shows and interviews; he's a natural being on TV. I wish I had that confidence.

Kasumi: Don't be like that, Senpai. I know if you really don't mind it, you could match him in popularity! I know a lot of girls in my class have a massive crush on him.