Ren's Memories Part 2 (Chapter 103)

*Cognitive World*

Your POV

Racing forward, you bust through the jail cells, Shadows chase after you like a swarm of insects. Their attempts to stop you become futile soon after dashing forward. Leaving them behind, you begin a long trek up a giant staircase. The broken cobblestone litters the walls, and the steps are damp and moldy from constant use and lack of maintenance. Holding Shokan close you watch as Shadows begin to approach you from both sides, they rush towards you, your blade ready as you leap into the air.

You: KAGE!

Using the stored power of Kage, you unleash a powerful wave of energy that clashes the stone, causing an explosive force. Upon landing, you duck right under a strike and slice through its torso. The body falls to the side and vanishes. Breaking into a mad dash, you charge up the stairs as more Shadows begin to pile down to stop you. Without giving much thought or reason, you shout to the top of your lungs in a battle cry, letting out your frustration. Shadowy masses fall down the steps before quickly fading away as you slash through each opponent with ease, taking a deep breath you are making your way. Halfway up the tower, you breathe hard and heavy but you continue the fight.

An hour passes as you reach the final floor, blood stains your face that slowly burns away, and a large gash across your chest and back soaks your clothes in blood. Your left arm is bruised and bleeding from blunt force, and your leg barely stands as it has a piercing hole within the shin and thigh. Crimson red droplets from the tip of your sword.

You: *Breathing heavily* Just hold on... I'll get you out of here Ren...!

You approach a giant cell door that has the name Joker crossed out in blood which is then also written in blood as "Disgraced Filth* written beside it. Grinding your teeth, you start to push open the door until a giant chain hits the door, and you turn to just barely dodge to the side a massive shadow, the guardian of this cell. A key is wrapped around its neck as there seem to be some spines protruding from its arms and torso, clearly not a normal Shadow you pose yourself towards the monster.

You: You have what I want don't you? Well come on and play then!

you channel Shokan's inner abilities rushing forward. The creature swings its lengthy area towards you. Jumping and sliding to the side you slash into the arm and defend from its counterattack. Learning how it moves, you fixate your anger on Shokan and a dark glow burns within the blade. The feeling of anger burns within your soul and Kage extends its reach further and you summon a giant hand to grapple the Shadow. Without wasting a moment, you quickly leap onto the arm and stab the shadow in the head. It falls over dead, leaving a key upon its remains.

You: I'll be needing this...

???: Do you think power can solve everything?

You:...! *Turns to see a Shadowy figure that resembles Ren*

Ren's Shadow: Power controls the world. There's nothing but absolute power... Without it... We are nothing.

You: I know what your guys' deals are now. And I get it. But don't distract me.

Ren's Shadow: You seem to be fueled by something more than passion, it must be consuming your entire heart if you let it.

You:...

You ignore the shadow and use the key on the giant gate. The moment you turn the key, the door starts to shake and crumble in front of you. You stare ahead at a giant cage containing a single person, Ren sits with a despairing expression. You slowly begin to walk to your best friend, who needs your health you feel a slight tug on your leg.

You: What...?

Before you could do anything, you are wrapped in chains, the same ones that surround Ren's cage, you fall to the floor onto your knees.

Mysterious Figure: Oh no no no... This won't do... I must contain this as quickly as possible.

You look up to see the familiar bald figure before. He seems to be the big cheese of this place. The one who holds over the freedom of Ren. You see another key-like shape around his neck. The bald figure adjusts his glasses and looks closer to you.

Shadow: Why do you look so familiar? Hmm? I wonder...but my time with you must be short, I have much to do if I can complete my rise to power. I won't have some pesky rats in my plans!

The chains grow tighter and you feel pain shoot through your body, a sudden shock causes you to realize the seriousness of your situation...

You: G...Gahh..! F...Futaba!

Futaba: You ranggggg?

You: Input booster...! I need something!

Futaba: Alrighty! Konami code it is!

Futaba mashes on her keyboard and furiously inputs her hacking skills which soon reaches the Palace. The power struggles to enter but with some luck and tenacity of an Otaku, Futaba crosses through the barrier which hits you in your chest. A sudden rush of power fills you as Kage is fully recharged by the sudden support from her.

You: You can take your chains and shove them! PERSONA!!!

Black shadows cloak your body as you break the chains off your body before they wrap around your arms and up your shoulders. They darken to a shadowy black reminiscent of the time of your imprisonment by Kage, you pour your stockpile of power into the chains, and they begin to vibrate in the power.

You: I have no time to sit around and play your games!

Whipping them around you slam into the ground, causing a huge wave of darkness to spur from the sudden cracks as they twirl around you. The Shadow looks at you and takes off his glasses, his golden yellow eyes peer into yours.

Shadow: Interesting...!

Thank you guys for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! A quick little snippet of the coming fight. A sudden showdown with an oddly familiar figure...? More to find out next time!

Due to some issues and problems I am facing in life, I am now promoting my Patreon to anyone who wants to support me financially, this not only will provide me with some sort of income, however small or large it is, that will allow me to focus even more effort into writing for you guys. It is entirely your decision to check it out and provide me with any money you want to give me, the lowest starting is 5 minimum. Entirely up to you again, patreon.com/AKAustin is my Pateron for you to visit! Well I will See you all in the Next one! Thanks again!