forty one.

༻✧༺

"how are you feeling?" amber asked as nina handed bella a glass of water. 

"i'm fine," she reassured them, carefully fixing her position. "the water wasn't hot enough to do any serious damage, and the bandages are there so it doesn't get infected." she explained after noticing their concern. 

"well, you'll definitely have to sit out from the tunnels." nina instructed as amber nodded in agreement.

"no! i'm fine, i can still― ow." she winced, her attempt at standing up in protest failing as her legs didn't wish to comply. nina gave her a knowing look, taking the glass out of her hand and setting it down on her bedside table before fixing the pillows for her.

"don't worry, the others and i will figure out the next task, you just focus on getting better." she ordered. 

"but they're all cursed." bella argued.

"hey!" amber took offence to the words, giving her best friend a pointed look. "i am rocking these grey hairs, i'll have you know." she defended herself as the two girls giggled at her comment, shaking their head. "and nina's right, you'll only hurt yourself more if you don't heal first." 

bella sighed, knowing that she was right. their conversation was cut short when a phone alarm sounded, catching their attention as they glanced over at nina. she hurriedly turned it off, realisation washing over her features as she glanced over at amber. 

"we'd better leave now if we wanna get to the hospital in time." she reminded as realisation washed over amber's face. 

"but bella..." amber mumbled as the two girls glanced over at their injured best friend, seemingly reluctant to leave her on her own.

"don't worry about me," she waved them off. "i'm gonna take a nap anyway, you guys go." she assured, however, they didn't seem convinced as they shared a wary glance. "honestly guys, i'll be fine."