forty four.

༻✧༺

"w- where am i?" bella croaked, her throat parched as a bright light blinded her vision. she had to blink a few times before her eyes could adjust to her surroundings, taking note of a rhythmic beeping sounding throughout the room.

"you're up." she turned to the voice, surprised to find mara sat by her bed. she looked around, realising that she was in a hospital and the beeping sound she had heard was the electrocardiogram by her bed.

"what happened to me?" she asked, pushing herself up.

"you don't have to get up," mara stood up, helping her so she didn't strain herself. "the nurse said the burns on your legs had been infected and that was why you had such a bad fever. they put you on antibiotics and took care of your burn scars." she explained as bella nodded her head, grateful for her help. 

"thanks." she mumbled, unable to look her in the eye. she had quietly held a grudge against mara for so long for no reason, it wasn't her fault that jerome had feelings for her. plus, now that she was with eddie, she realised that her feelings for jerome were just infatuation and it definitely didn't compare to what she felt for eddie. bella's eyes widened as realisation washed over her features. "what time is it? i need to find eddie―"

"you can't leave," mara panicked, stopping the girl from removing her cannula. "the doctor said you need to finish your round of antibiotics before you can be discharged." she explained, holding her hands down. 

"but..." bella was visibly upset as she could only imagine how hurt and offended eddie was. it was the second time she had stood him up and there was no doubt that he'd be angry with her. 

"bella!" the two girls' head whipped towards the door, bella's eyes widening in surprise as an out of breath eddie stood at the entrance to her room. his eyes landed on the girl, ignoring everything around him as he approached her and immediately pulled her into a tight hug. a small gasp escaped her lips as she was surprised by his sudden actions, barely able to process what had happened. 

mara smiled knowingly, quietly leaving the room and giving the two some privacy. tears pricked at the girl's eyes as she slowly wrapped her arms around him, unable to remember the last time someone had hugged her so tightly. "i'm sorry." she quietly mumbled. "i stood you up again."