thirty four.

༻✧༺

"so?" nina questioned as patricia, amber and alfie entered the room. "any luck?" she asked, referring to the clue that she had found in the dollhouse earlier that day. the two were tasked to look in the library, whilst fabian and nina searched through what they already had. 

"we checked library, no armour, hollows or silver threads of fate." alfie answered as the others sighed in defeat. "just your normal nerd herd of dorks with books." he shrugged.

"wait," fabian called out, catching their attention. he was sat on the bed with the clue in his hands and a big book in his lap. "i think i found something." he declared, pointing at the page he was reading. "this is all about last names and what they mean, so i thought i'd look up frobisher," he began explaining. "which comes from an old french word, forbicer, which means to shine." 

"fascinating." amber cut in, sarcasm clear in her tone. "and he says he's not a nerd." 

"wha―" fabian took offence, before continuing with the passage with a lead to their clue. "which is a last name most commonly given to armourers." he finished smugly.

"okay, now that is actually pretty interesting." patricia pointed out, coming to the boy's defence.

"thank you!" fabian exclaimed, happy he was finally getting recognition for his work. "so what if i am a nerd, there's nothing wrong with that. it was nerds like me that invented the wheel, email ― pretty much everything you couldn't live without." he passionately continued, directing the last sentence towards amber who had been giving him the hardest time. 

"i feel your pain, my friend." alfie agreed, nodding his head in understanding. "i get hassled because i want to be a ninja." his serious tone made it even harder to take it as a joke as he mimicked a ninja pose whilst sitting down. 

"so," nina was quick to revert the subject back to the original topic of conversation. "the riddle's about the frobisher-smythe's?"

"well he was a smart scholar, wasn't he?" alfie chimed.