Chapter 77: Kitty Hawk

"Well, thank you for sharing, Kiara, and thank you both for putting on our uniform," the camp manager smiled too wide at them.

The camp had been strangely decked out with security measures. It felt like a prison. It was kind of like Singh's house but with more teenage girls and cabins.

While being escorted to the office, Kie and Grace had passed a bunch of girls their age wearing matching uniforms with the Kitty Hawk logo on it. Some were hand washing clothes, others were mowing lawns. No matter the chore, each girl looked equally miserable and bored.

"Like we had a choice," Kie responded, arms crossed.

Grace had barely said a word to the woman. She just sat there, hands clutched on her lap while staring at her converse clad feet. She really didn't have anything to say or to be dealt with. She still wasn't even sure she was legally allowed to be sent to this loony-bin camp by the Carreras.

"Well, now the good news is, we have a name for your condition," the woman spoke to Kie. She couldn't have had a name for Grace's 'condition' since she hadn't even uttered a word yet.

"Great," Kie replied sarcastically.

"ODD," the woman continued undeterred, "Oppositional defiant disorder."

Kie's brows furrowed. "What is that?"

To Grace's relief the attention was being placed solely on her friend. The woman had tried cracking her stoic exterior a couple times in the beginning of their meeting but she seemed to have given up.

"It's consistent opposition to authority," she answered.

Grace bit her lip to hold back a grin. That was the most stupid excuse of a diagnoses she'd heard in her entire life and she spent the majority of her childhood in a hospital.

"Did you just make that up?" Kie scoffed, "Sounds like bullshit."

The woman shook a finger at Kie as if she found her amusing. "As I was saying, consistent opposition. Now, fortunately, it's very treatable with medication."

"I'm not taking medication," Kie was quick to interject.

Grace smiled sarcastically. "Look, with all due respect which is slim to none, we don't need your help. In fact, it's almost like, my mental health has been on a rapid decline since we stepped foot onto your lovely property. Isn't that so strange?"

The woman looked over at Grace who was slumped in her chair, arms crossed and a smug expression on her face. She knew how this worked. They were going to work them into a state of submission through constant nitpicking but she wasn't going to give up easily. The more she rebelled the less of a hold their stupid camp would have on her.

"Don't worry, Grace. You and I are going to have a little chat after Kiara is dealt with," her smile was fake and over the top.

Grace rolled her eyes, channeling her inner JJ. She loved him but god he was good at being annoying. That's the exact energy she needed to channel if she wanted to get through this. "Woah, I'm so scared."

The woman seemed to give up on Grace and turn back to Kiara. "Now, we can help you with this. You just have to work with us."

"Right. Um, do you mind if I use the restroom?" Kie asked. "It was a long drive."

"Of course. Right there," she pointed to one of the doors.

Grace knew Kie was going to try to escape and she was proud of her friend. The whole "constant opposition to authority" thing was a good look on her. Plus, if Kie got out she would be able to get Grace out or at least tell the others what was going on so they wouldn't wait.