Chapter 56: You Are In Love

Grace sat next to Kie, Sarah, and Cleo as they watched the boys pull the lifeboat onto the beach. They had made their way to an island and decided to go to shore.

"Good job, guys!" Sarah called once the boat was successfully beached.

"Woah," JJ spoke woozily.

"JJ, you all right there, buddy?" John B called.

"Yeah. Still a little dizzy."

Grace looked up at him in concern as the boys approached them.

"I'm fine. Promise," JJ smiled down at her. "Okay, anybody know where we're at?" 

"Deserted beach. Unknown island," Pope answered.

"Alright, I'll take that as a no." Pope and John B sat down while JJ stayed standing in front of the group. "Plan A, huh, Pope? That went well."

Sarah and Grace shared a look.

"This is the lowest we can go," Pope replied. "We literally have nothing else to lose. The cross, gone."

"The gold, gone," Sarah added.

Pope threw himself back to lie down.

"Seriously, if we had a nickel for every time we got beat up, I'd say we're at a dollar fifty," JJ complained.

"That's more than I got on me," Kie grumbled.

"That somehow doesn't make me feel better," Sarah added.

JJ pulled out his pocket knife and jabbed it into a nearby tree.

"Yeah, you're right," John B started, "But, I mean, we've... We've had some good stuff happen, right?"

"Name something," Pope mumbled.

"Um... Uh, the boiler room. I mean, if the boiler didn't explode. We wouldn't have gotten away from Rafe."

"Yeah, it was perfect timing," Grace added.

"I couldn't have gotten the Zodiac and gotten us out of here," John B continued.

"That wasn't luck." Cleo shook her head. "That thing was gonna blow the second I stopped feeding it."

"Stealing my thunder, Cleo," John B complained. "Okay. Pope," he turned to him, "you're related to Denmark Tanny. That's crazy."

"And I lost all of his inheritance," Pope added.

"You'll get it back," Grace shrugged. Pope smiled at her weakly.

"You know what?" John B stood and made his way to the front of the group. "Guys, this is it. This is the Pogue life. We are in the Caribbean. It's our own little slice of paradise. With my best friends, with my family. I don't know. I wouldn't wanna do it with anyone else. Look, and while you guys were complaining about every little thing... JJ?"

JJ stabbed his knife into the tree once more. "Hmm?"

John B pointed out into the ocean. "I was looking at those burly lefts."

JJ grinned. "There's some slabs out there."

"Kie, you see that? I know you wanna get out there. Gracie, you gotta one up JJ. I know you want to."

"No boards," Kie sighed.

"Well, we can bodysurf till we make some boards," John B answered.

"Lame," Kie replied.

"Pope? Come on, man," John B turned to him.

"They do look pretty tasty."

"Oh, yes, they do."