Chapter 49: Luke Maybank

"Ah, crap! The tide!" John B exclaimed as the van pulled down the dirt road.

"Well this doesn't look good," Pope grumbled.

"How deep is that?" Kie asked, staring out the window at the massive puddle.

"I dunno. The road's gone," John B answered.

"Who's ready to swim?" Grace joked.

John B stopped the car just before the road became a swimming pool.

"Tide rose faster than I thought it would," JJ said while looking over Grace's shoulder at the long stretch of water ahead of them.

"Just a litte bit," John B replied.

"Uh, John B, how high are the spark plugs?" JJ asked.

"They're good. We're fine," John B nodded.

Grace furrowed her brows at him. "That's not an answer."

"Oh, um..." John B stuck his head out the window check, "Uh, just above the taillight."

"Okay, so that's what, three feet?" Pope looked around at his friends' concerned faces.

Grace narrowed her eyes in thought, "That's maybe a little on the optimistic side."

"Okay, the water can't be three feet deep," Kie spoke up.

"Then what's the problem?" John B asked.

"Not a problem. No, we're good. We're good. She'll make it," JJ replied.

"Ladies and gentlemen fasten your seat belts. Hold on to something. We're going into hyperdrive," John B announced.

JJ wrapped his arms around Grace's waist tightly. "I'll say a quick prayer."

"Three, two, one." John B pressed on the gas. 

The Twinkie's tires spun out in the mud until it eventually surged ahead.

JJ tightened his grip on Grace to stop her from going flying forward as the van sped up.

"Faster! Faster!" JJ shouted as water sprayed up around them. "You got it! You got it!"

"Oh my god!" Grace screamed as the van veered off the road.

"No, no, no, no," John B rambled after they came to a screeching halt in the middle of the water.

"I think we miscalculated," Pope said from the backseat.

"I knew I should have driven," JJ grumbled.

"Like you could've done better," Grace replied as she popped open the door and climbed out into the almost waist high water. The group was quick to do the same. They gathered around the back of the van.

"Okay, maybe we can walk from here," Pope suggested.

"What? And leave the Twinkie?" John B scoffed, "The tide's coming in."

"So then what are we supposed to do?" Sarah asked while looking back and forth between her friends.

"Not stay here," JJ answered, grip tight on Grace's hand.

"I can take my dad's truck," Kie shrugged.

"Kie, are you sure?" John B shot her a worried look.

"How much worse can it get, you know?"

"We need something to pull her out with. There's a winch at the Chateau. That's, like, two miles."

Grace shot Kie a sad smile as JJ spoke.