Chapter 45: Blind Pig

JJ ran his hand up and down Grace's back while frowning. He was worried about her. He was always worried about her but this time it was worse. She was spiralling and he felt like there was nothing he could do to help.

He stared down at her face. Her eyes were closed gently and the stress that plagued her was absent in her sleep. He ran a hand through her hair.

JJ was pissed. He was angry at Rafe for what he did to her and what he almost did. He was angry at Ward for killing her mom and never caring about Grace the way she should be cared for. He was mad at himself for not being there. He should've been there to protect her from Rafe's attack. He should've been there when she went after Ward. He was so caught up in channeling his sadness into getting John B out that he wasn't there. That's what made him the most mad. 

Grace broke up with him but he still should have been there for her. Now all he could do was wait. Time; that's what she wanted so that's what he'd give her. He didn't care how long he had to wait. He'd wait for the rest of his life if it meant she'd forgive him and they'd be okay again.

His phone rang, knocking him out of his racing thoughts. Grace stirred on his chest. 

He was quick to pick up his phone and answer the call. "Hello?"

Grace was fully awake now, watching JJ's face go from confused to concerned until he hung up.

"What is it?" she asked while sitting up.

JJ sat up next to her, "Guffy called, Heyward was jumped."

"What?" Any sleepiness was fully gone now. 

JJ stood and ran outside, Grace on his heels.

"Pope!" JJ shouted as he ran towards the shed. Kie and Pope were hugging but pulled away at JJ's urgent tone.

"Just got a call from Guffy. Something happened to your pops," JJ rushed out.

"What?" Pope ran after JJ and Grace as they hurried to the Twinkie.

"John B! Sarah! Come on!" Kie shouted as she followed her friends.

══════════

"Tell me if it hurts, okay?" Grace shared a sympathetic smile with Heyward as she placed a bandage on his head.

"You're doing just fine," Heyward reassured.

She got it placed down fully and pulled her hands away from his face.

"Thank you, darlin'. Is your neck okay?" Heyward had been eying the bandage on her neck since they got there, a fatherly worry evident on his face.

"Yeah, JJ fixed it up," Grace smiled. "Just a scratch," she added.

Heyward looked at her with an unconvinced expression but didn't comment any further.

"Pop, what happened," Pope took Grace's place in front of his dad.

Grace made her way over to John B and gave him a tight hug. She hadn't actually had the opportunity to see him yet and they rushed out of the Chateau so quickly she still hadn't gotten the chance to give him a hug.

John B wrapped his arms around her in return.

"Oh, I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise," Heyward explained. 

Grace stayed in John B's arms as Heyward continued, "Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that...that... that key from that... that drawing that you showed me." 

JJ, Sarah and Kie shared a look. John B was too busy examining Grace's bandage and she was too busy swatting his hands away to partake.

"And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing. Now did you track it down?"