Chapter 72: Yo, Top

By the time Grace got back to Kie's house it was past midnight. Kie didn't ask any questions, she just shut off the lights and they fell asleep side by side in her bed. It was more like Kie fell asleep and Grace stayed wide awake staring up at the ceiling.

In the morning, Kie forced Grace to get out of bed, dragging her out the door and to a breakfast place.

"Okay, I'm thinking waffles and eggs," Kie said. 

Grace nodded. "I'm gonna get the same. Why choose?

Kie grinned. "Exactly.

They both gave their orders and waited by the counter. They wanted to take it to go and have a picnic on the docks.

Grace was antsy to get back to John B and help him with his dad but spending time with Kie like they used to before the treasure hunting was really helping her feel better. Plus, going back to John B would mean facing JJ again.

"What are you wearing to your parent's anniversary party?" Grace asked.

Kie didn't respond, she was staring out into the restaurant. Grace followed her line of sight.

Sarah was sat at a table with Topper.

Topper threw up a peace sign when he caught Grace's eye. Her brows furrowed.

The waitress delivered their to-go boxes before things could get even more awkward. Kie and Grace grabbed their food and headed for the door and down the dock.

"What the hell was that?" Grace mumbled.

Kie shrugged. "Dude, everyone's going insane. I have no idea."

"Kie! Grace!"

Neither girl turned around at Sarah's voice.

"Topper and I were getting breakfast," Sarah explained.

"It's none of my business," Kie responded at the same time Grace mumbled a sarcastic, "Breakfast... yeah."

"That's it. You guys should join," Sarah suggested.

Kie set the boxes of food down into the boat. Eating on the dock suddenly seemed less appealing.

"Breakfast?" Kie asked, unconvinced.

"Yeah, breakfast," Sarah nodded.

"Yo, Grace, Kie!" Topper's grating voice shouted.

"Yo, Top," Kie replied in an overly douchy frat boy voice.

Grace had to bite her lip to stop herself from laughing.

"I had nowhere to go last night," Sarah whispered. "Cleo's at Pope's. I couldn't find JJ. John B and I got into, like, a thing. He found me and took me to Mase with a group of people."

"Okay, so you bring him to the middle of the Island Restaurant on a Saturday?" Kie mused, still unconvinced.

"Yeah, Sare, I love you but that's a little... suspect," Grace added.

Topper had finally caught up to Sarah's side and stuck a fist out. "Grace! What's up? Random, right?"

Grace kept her arms crossed, ignoring the Kook.

"Look, uh... we have plans... so," Grace mumbled.

"Yeah, we don't want to impose," Kie added. "Gotta help my parents set up for their party."

"You know what? I'm gonna go too," Sarah turned to Topper.

His face morphed into that of a kicked puppy. "Wait. Wait, what? Our food literally just came out. How are you gonna smother your hunger?"