Chapter 16: It Wasn't Him

Grace was sat snuggly under JJ's arm, sole attention placed on the movie screen in front of her. JJ looked down at her and noticed her mouthing the words as the characters said them. JJ smiled softly.

"JJ," Pope shook his arm.

JJ ignored him and kept his eyes on Grace. 

"JJ!"

"What?"

"Gotta take a piss."

"Hold it."

"I can't hold it. I drank too much soda."

"It's too exposed. They'll totally see us," JJ reasoned, desperately trying to find and excuse to stay here with Grace.

"I gotta go." Pope turned around to look towards the outhouses, "They're blocking the bathrooms."

JJ sighed dramatically while unwrapping his arm from Grace. "Come here. I know where."

Grace was so focused on the movie she hadn't even noticed their conversation before JJ let go of her. She peeled her eyes away from the movie and looked over at him questioningly. 

"Hey, where y'all going?" Kie asked.

"We gotta wring it out."

"Go piss girl," Grace grinned.

"You gonna hold it for each other?" Kie teased.

Grace watched as the two boys snuck around to behind a tree then turned back to the movie. "This is the best part and they're missing it," Grace grumbled as Vader revealed that he's Luke's father.

Grace looked away from the screen momentarily only to spot Rafe, Topper and Kelce all heading towards the tree.

"Fuck." Grace hurried up from her chair and grabbed JJ's bag quickly heading off.

"Where are you going?" Kie asked.

"Uh- I've gotta piss too."

She rounded the screen just in time to see Pope headbutt Topper in the face. 

"Now, attaboy! With your fist, like this, okay?" JJ encouraged. 

She watched as JJ landed a couple hits on Kelce only to be distracted by Rafe allowing Kelce to hit him square in the jaw.

Grace quickly dropped the bag and ran forward to punch Rafe. She caught him off guard and was able to land a hit right to his nose. 

"Gracie, good to see you," Rafe smirked before swinging at her. She ducked quickly and narrowly avoided the hit. Grace looked over to see Kelce holding JJ back as Rafe moved past her to start hitting him. 

JJ was defenceless as Kelce held him and Rafe continually hit him. She had to do something so she stood and hopped onto Rafe's back. 

Rafe turned quickly and threw her off onto the ground, hovering over her.

"I swear to god Rafe. Don't touch her," JJ struggled against Kelce even harder.

He ignored JJ and stared down at Grace, psychotic smile on his face. Rafe leant down and grabbed her neck with both hands, tightening his grip. Grace's hands sprung up and desperately tried to pry his off to no avail. 

"You're a sad excuse of a Cameron, Grace. You'll never be one of us," Rafe practically spat in her face.

Through laboured breaths Grace responded, "You act...tough. You're- You're just scared of-" 

His grip tightened stopping her from speaking. "Rafe you're gonna to kill her!" JJ yelled. "Let go!"

At some point in the struggle Kie had made her way around the screen and grabbed JJ's lighter. With one last look at her beaten friends, she set fire to the screen. The crowd gasped as it went up in flames and the teens quickly dispersed. JJ immediately hurried to Grace and helped her up. The group headed for the Twinkie, Kie helping Pope along and JJ and Grace mutually leaning on one another.