Chapter 48: Angel Oak

"How much bacon should I make?" Grace called from the kitchen.

"The whole thing," John B shouted from the porch making Grace roll her eyes but grab the whole pack nonetheless.

"Well, hello, princess," Grace heard JJ's voice as the screen door opened.

Grace glanced over her shoulder to see Sarah making her way onto the porch. "Hey Sare."

Sarah smiled in response.

"Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" John B teased. "Or did you break up with Topper?"

"We're just friends," Sarah replied, annoyance evident in her tone.

"He's just a friend. You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron," John B continued. Grace sighed as she flipped a piece of bacon around. She loved Sarah and John B but they were both so damn stubborn she felt like she was going insane just watching them.

"Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too," Sarah whipped around.

"All right, what are you doing here?" John B sat up from his chair.

"I'm here for Pope."

Pope looked up at her with furrowed brows.

"I think I found the island room," Sarah smiled.

The Pogues immediately sat up at attention.

"Guys, as fun as that sounds, breakfast is ready," Grace called.

The Pogues glanced around at each other before making their way into the Chateau's kitchen.

They each grabbed a plate and piled on some eggs, bacon and toast. 

Sarah stood awkwardly off to the side.

"You can have some. I made a bunch," Grace smiled making her sister smile back gratefully and grab a plate.

"Hey, JJ! One piece of toast each," Grace scolded while slapping his hands away.

"But-"

Grace shot him a look making him put the toast back and head over to the table.

"Whipped," Pope whistled under his breath. JJ slapped him on the back of the head in response. 

The pogues gathered around and ate quickly, eager to get going and explore the island room.

"Dude, seriously I don't get how you cook this well," Kie got out through a mouthful of eggs.

"I think y'all are the problem. It's not that hard to make eggs and bacon," Grace shrugged.

JJ shoved his last piece of bacon in his mouth before springing up. His friends had practically inhaled their food so he went around the table and grabbed their plates, excited to head out. He picked up Grace's, pecked her on the lips then hurried to put the plates in the sink.

"Okay, let's go!" JJ ushered them all out of their seats and towards the van.

══════════

"Guys, listen to this," Pope gathered their attention as John B sped the Twinkie over the bridge towards Figure Eight. "The diary says the cross holds the most holy relic in all of Christendom, the Garment of the Savior."

"So wait, he's saying there's a holy garment inside the cross?" Kie repeated.

"Yeah. It says the garment is capable of healing the sick from any malady," Pope answered.

"Yeah,"If only I may touch his garment, I shall be made well,"" JJ explained.

The group collectively gave him a funny look.