Chapter 75: Up In Flames

Outer Banks. Paradise on Earth.

One side for the Pogues.

Another for the Kooks.

From the moment you're born, you're told what side you belong on.

I was an anomaly.

Foot in both worlds but heart with the Pogues.

All that ever mattered was where my heart lied and my heart has always been with them.

John B, my brother.

Kie, my best friend.

Pope, my favourite geek.

And JJ...

══════════

"Pope, I actually cannot get over how genius this is," Grace smiled as they made their way to the backyard of the Chateau.

"To be fair Cleo did half of the work," Pope shrugged.

Cleo punched his arm playfully, "Seventy-thirty. I'm seventy. You're thirty."

Pope put on an overly thoughtful expression. "Sixty-forty. I'm sixty. You're forty."

When Pope walked ahead, Cleo turned to Grace and waved her hand next to her neck and clicked her tongue.

Grace bit her lip to stop herself from laughing. They were bickering like an old married couple.

Cleo grinned at her reaction. 

As they rounded the corner into the back, Grace froze to her spot.

JJ was on one of the lawn chairs around the fire talking to Pope.

Kie rolled her eyes and linked arms with her friend, dragging her along.

JJ looked up when he heard footsteps behind him to come face to face with Grace.

"Hey." Her voice was small and sheepish as if she was the one in the wrong.

JJ felt his heart sink at how nervous she seemed. She was never nervous around him. "Hey."

Grace's smile was forced as he stood up. The group gathered round and began chatting, save for JJ and Grace.

She was staring down at her feet.

He was watching her.

It was like neither of them could hear the conversation going on around them, too lost in their own thoughts.

Grace peeled her eyes away from her shoes to look at him only to find his eyes already locked on her. Her brows furrowed and she opened her mouth to say something.

Before she could, Sarah's voice cut her off. "Hey, thanks for waiting. Look who decided to come home."

Right on cue, John B climbed down the porch steps.

"Welcome back," Cleo grinned.

"Good to see you man," Pope smiled.

"You gotta be kidding me," JJ beamed as his friend wandered towards the group.

"Why do you keep getting arrested?" Grace added.

John B messed up her hair in response making her scowl.

"I have something I want to share with you guys," Sarah said, breaking up John B and Grace, "I can get us down to the Orinoco."

Grace grinned proudly next to her sister.