Chapter 44: Blood

Grace banged on the door to Tannyhill. It was the middle of the night. She knew that no one was awake but that wasn't going to stop her. 

She reached up, ready to knock again when the door swung open to reveal Ward in his pyjamas.

"Grace? What are you doing here in the middle of the night?" 

Grace ignored him and shoved past him into the house. He shook off his confusion and shut the door.

Ward turned around to be faced with the end of a pistol. He quickly put his hands up.

"I'm going to need you to calm down," he started.

"You're not in a position to give me orders, Ward," Grace scoffed while readjusting her hold on the gun.

"Sweetie, whatever is wrong-"

Grace felt the simmering anger coursing through her veins grow fiery. "You know what's wrong! Don't, don't fucking play dumb!"

"It's okay, it's okay," Ward tried to lower his arms but Grace shoved her gun further towards him making them shoot right back up.

"You're going to stay like that," she instructed. Ward nodded slowly.

Grace reached into her back pocket and pulled out her phone, other arm still holding the gun. She opened the voice memos app and began recording.

"You're going to tell me exactly what you did to my mother," Grace ordered.

"Grace, I have nothing to-" Ward started.

She quickly cut him off by flicking the safety off. "Answer the question."

"Honey, I'm not confessing to anything. She died of cancer," Ward wore a fake sympathetic smile.

Grace's finger moved to the trigger. "Don't make me shoot."

Ward shook his head, "That's the thing, Grace. You won't do it. You don't have the strength."

Grace's hand holding the gun shook.

"Ever since you were little. You always needed me. You always will. You can't kill me," Ward continued.

Grace pulled the trigger.

Ward flinched as the gun fired.

Grace felt tears well in her eyes as her hand's shaking grew more rapid.

Ward's eyes widened as he looked back at the hole in the drywall, just above his head.

"Grace, sweetie, I'm going to need you to put the gun down," Ward commanded.

Grace felt the tears roll down her cheeks and her lip quivering as Ward slowly approached her.

He grabbed the gun and slowly peeled her fingers off of it. She was too shaky to stop him. Ward flicked the safety on then placed the gun down on the nearby side table.

"You killed her," she sobbed out. "She didn't do anything to you!"

Ward shook his head, "That's what she wants you to believe, Grace. She was tearing our family apart. She was just like Big John, she was going crazy looking for the gold with him. I was protecting you."

Grace felt sobs wracking her body as he spoke. 

"Grace, she was going to die anyway."

Grace went still. She clenched her jaw. 

She glared up at him before suddenly reaching out to the gun. Ward was quicker. He grabbed her wrists and held them tightly.

"You aren't going to kill me. You're going to get off of my property before I call the police, okay?" Ward had fury painted across his face. She'd never seen him wear such a negative emotion so clearly.