Chapter 40: JJ's Philosophy

"Anybody else starving? We need to grab some sort of breakfast," JJ grumbled as they drove through the marsh.

Grace helped Sarah out of the boat and onto a dock as Kie followed behind.

"We're gonna find some food," Sarah said back to the boys.

"Don't Lord of The Flies each other while we're gone," Grace added as they girls made their way up the dock.

"Jackpot!" Kie held up a watermelon in victory.

"God, I've never been happier to see a watermelon," Grace grinned, mouth watering.

The girls cracked it open against the ground and dug in with their bare hands.

"Okay, so you really got married?" Kie asked.

"Ugh, don't remind me it was so painfully adorable and disgusting to watch," Grace complained jokingly.

"It wasn't exactly legal, but..."

Kie shrugged dismissively.

Sarah smiled up at Kie and Grace. "Yeah."

"God, you're so in love," Grace smiled back.

"Am I crazy, or is there definitely something going on between you and Pope?" Sarah asked while taking a bite of watermelon.

Kiara shrugged, "Maybe."

"That's not a no."

Kie shrugged again, "It's not a no."

"Oh my god, we should all get married and have babies at the same time," Grace exclaimed.

Kiara furrowed her brows, "You're thinking way in the future. Plus, you and JJ will definitely be the first to have babies."

"Why'd you say that?"

"'Cause you're both like..."

"Absurdly obsessed with each other," Sarah finished for Kie.

___________

"So, uh, what's up with this Kiara stuff there, big guy?" John B asked.

Pope sighed, "Uh, honestly, I don't know right now, man. I mean I definitely like her."

"Sure."

"And I'm pretty sure she likes me."

"Seems like it."

"Right now, there's a lot of conflicting information going on. Like, I'm trying to gather all the data and put it into a folder in my mind-"

"Folder?"

"All right, man, look, women, all right, like, they're just not consistent," JJ butted in.

"All right, we're not gonna take female advice from JJ," John B immediately cut him off.

"Hey! Why not? Grace is way outta my league. If you're taking advice from anyone it should be me."

"You've been predestined to date her since, like, the fourth grade. Super different scenario," Pope shut him down.

"What's the deal with this Limbrey chick? You think she knew my pops?" John B changed the subject.

"I don't know. But I do think that she has the information that could exonerate you."

"That would be ideal."

"Not to throw a monkey wrench in the entire thing, but she did try to kidnap you. How many times do I gotta say this?" JJ spoke up.

John B sighed dramatically, "Here we go."

"Why are we going back? Why don't we go south? Why don't we go to Yucatan? Coast of Broken Dreams, baby!"