Chapter 26: The Runway

"We go in there, guns a-blazin', make Ward Cameron beg for mercy, abscond with as much gold as possible and vámonos, get the hell out of there," JJ spoke eagerly. John B was driving the Twinkie towards the airport and the Pogues were all smiling. Grace was sat on JJ's lap, his arms wrapping around her to load his gun on the floor in front of them.

"Down the Intracoastal," John B continued.

"Wait for weather," Kie added.

"Exit to Cuba," Pope finished.

"Cuba? No, man, Xcalak, Jewel of the Yucatan. Lobsters so thick, mangoes, and no word for money," JJ corrected.

Grace shook her head smiling, "It's always Yucatan isn't it J?"

"Always Yucatan," he confirmed.

Throughout their friend ship they'd planned many fictional heists together. It was fun to imagine being like Bonnie and Clyde. Stealing from the rich. The only consistency in their stories was Yucatan. Grace would try to convince JJ to go somewhere else as their great escape but JJ would shake his head and just say, "Always Yucatan."

The Twinkie pulled to a stop at a fence just outside the runway. They all climbed out and ran to the chain link. 

"What's the plan? Broad strokes," Kie asked.

They all stared through the chain link as John B replied, "I don't think we got that far."

"They're loading up the gold," Pope narrated. He was holding binoculars to his eyes and looking onto the runway. 

John B pulled the binoculars from Pope and to his own eyes, "There's Ward."

John B slowly lowered the binoculars in shock.

"What?" Kie asked quickly.

"It's Sarah," he breathed.

Grace snatched the binoculars and held them to her face. Her sister was with Ward. Grace watched as Ward grabbed her sister and she screamed.

"He's hurting her," Grace said.

The Pogues' heads all whipped towards Grace. 

John B took the binoculars, "They're fighting."

Kiara took the binoculars next. John B and Grace made eye contact then both ran back to the van. The Pogues heard the sound of the van starting up and hurried over.

"Gracie!" JJ shouted.

"Where are you going?" Kie added.

John B ignored them and sped the car towards the fence. JJ, Kie and Pope had to run to get out of the way. Grace braced herself as the van crashed through the fence, cracking the windshield.

The three Pogues ran towards the hole in the fence while yelling after them.

John B sped the van onto the runway and after the plane.

"Get off the runway! Get off!" Ward yelled when the Twinkie sped beside the plane window.

Grace made eye contact with her sister and shared a weak smile.

John B continued excelerating past the plane.

JJ watched in terror as the van drifted to stop right in front of the speeding plane. His best friend was in that van. So was his girlfriend, his soulmate. He didn't want to watch but he couldn't tear his eyes away.

To his relief and the relief of the rest of the Pogues the plane stopped at the last second, about a foot from pummelling Grace and John B.

Grace pulled her hands away from her face when she didn't feel the impact and looked up to see the plane stopped and her sister's relieved face.