Chapter 67: Good Luck

JJ threw back another sip of beer to combat the late summer heat and calm his anxious brain.

"Hey."

He didn't bother to look up at Kie's approaching voice instead he turned back to his bike.

"What's with the sign?"

"Eviction notice," JJ grumbled, hands still occupied by his dirt bike's motor. It felt nice to have something that required him to focus after he had been so out of control. 

The sound Kie's footsteps slowed to a stop.

"For, like, nonpayment or whatever." He finally turned around to look at her and to set down his wrench on his makeshift workbench. "Doesn't matter. This place sucks anyway."

He turned back to his bike and began work on the back tire, unable to continue watching Kie's face morph into one of pity. "Great to be back in the Outer Banks, right?"

"So get this. I, uh, had an email waiting for me when I got home. John B actually found Big John."

JJ's busy hands froze.

"He's alive," Kie breathed.

A grin widened on JJ's face as he turned to look back at her. "Seriously?"

She nodded while smiling. "Yeah. He's at the Chateau."

JJ stood, smile unwavering. "Damn."

"Yeah, he thinks we're close to the same treasure Singh was talking about."

JJ grabbed a cloth from the table and wiped his hands which were covered in motor oil on it.

"Hey, Grace probably already told you but she's gonna live with me now."

His brows raised and he turned back around to work on his bike, not wanting to make eye contact with the curly haired Pogue in fear of her reading him like a book. "Oh, yeah?"

Kie nodded, eyes narrowing at his reaction. "Rick's in rehab so for the time being my parents are her guardians. Kinda like we're sisters or something."

JJ nodded without taking his eyes off of the bolt he was twisting around. Maybe if he hadn't went crazy on her she would've told him. She probably wanted to before he screwed up.

"I just want you to know that they're probably going to crack down on Grace seeing you. I mean, my parents didn't even wanna let me out of the house, but I told them I had to come check on you."

JJ clenched and unclenched his jaw, turning back around to the work bench. Kie's eyes were trained on his face, trying to decode it. It made him slightly uncomfortable to be under such an intense stare. "Well, it's not me you have to worry about."

Something seemed to click in Kie's scrutinizing gaze. "Jay, what's up? Did something happen with Gracie?"

He didn't reply. 

"Look, I know things are different now that we're back but y'all have been through everything together. Whatever it is, I promise it'll be fine."

JJ took in a deep breath. "Your parents probably won't have to worry about Grace wanting to see me."

Kie's brows furrowed further. "What happened? You can talk to me, you know?"

"You should be talking to her not me. I'm the one who blew it all up."

He began pacing back and forth.

"You know? Like... I just... Kie, I scared her. She deserves better. I don't know why I thought-"

"No, JJ. Don't do this. She loves you. I don't-"

He whipped around to Kie who had a look of pure concern on her face and felt his blood boil. He's the one who screwed up. Why the hell was she here trying to comfort him?