Chapter 35: Boy Who Cried Wolf

John B pulled the truck to a park at the docks.

"Okay, this is arguably the worst idea we have ever had."

Sarah didn't reply and neither did Grace so they all climbed out of the truck.

"Look what the cat done dragged in," Terrance grumbled as Sarah, John B and Grace made their way onto the boat.

"I have a proposition," Sarah spoke confidently. She had her hands on her hips and Grace had hers crossed over her chest, sternly.

"If it involves giving you that rock back, that nugget, forget it. You're lucky I'm not on the phone with the cops right now."

"I'm not worried about that," Sarah cut him off. "Because you saw what was in that safe, did you not?"

"Yeah, I did."

"And it was exactly what we told you it was gonna be right?" Grace backed up her sister.

Terrance didn't answer and instead took a sip from his drink.

"Yeah, well, that thing's locked down tighter than a clamshell now," Cleo answered instead.

"No shit. But the gold's not staying there. My dad's gonna come down here and move it. He'll have to," Sarah explained.

"So what are you proposing, a Brink's job?" Terrance asked.

"Think about it. You have a boat that can get us away. You know people on the island, and we can find out exactly when the gold is moving," Grace reasoned. 

"And we'll give you two million," Sarah added.

"Let me get this straight. We take the risk of going to jail and getting shot for a fraction of what's in that safe," Terrance grumbled.

"After you abandoned us? Stole my boat? I don't owe you shit. But I'll give you ten," she shrugged.

"Ten million apiece," Cleo added.

Terrance pointed up at her, "I like that. Ten apiece."

"Apiece? Okay. You know what? We're getting-"

Sarah cut off her rambling boyfriend, "John B." She paused. "Ten million apiece."

"Ten million dollars. We're just throwing money away," John B continued his rambling.

The crew looked at each other and Terrance stuck out his hand, "You have yourself a deal sweetheart."

Sarah stuck out her hand and shook Terrance's without breaking eye contact.

══════════

"Look, it was right here. This is where that maniac claimed his next victim," Kie pointed. 

The cops had finally shown up and had taken the group up into the construction site. Somehow, there was no body, no blood and no evidence of the murder.

"Uh-huh, his next victim?" Shoupe asked sarcastically.

JJ crouched down to the ground and started feeling around. He was in disbelief. How the hell did Ward kill Gavin then remove any evidence that quickly?

"Right. How long ago did you say this happened?"

JJ stood up, "Forty-five minutes ago, Shoupe."

Shoupe wrote something down, "So, Ward Cameron just popped one off and shot him?"

"Yes," Kie breathed.

"Execution style. And then cleaned it al up in 45 minutes?"

"Yeah."