xii

FMB

The kids and I were finally settled in our new home in Los Angeles

The kids and I were finally settled in our new home in Los Angeles. The movie premiere was in a few days but today Taraji was over helping me decorate for Christmas.

"Move it to the left a little. It's crooked Tai." She said from the other side of the room as I fixed the star on the top of the tree.

"This better?" I asked looking over at her.

"Perfect. Now what's next?" She asked as she walked over, helping me off of the ladder.

"We gotta hang the stockings and mis-." I said before cutting myself off.

"Nevermind, no use in that anymore. Just the stockings." I said sighing as I walked over to the box that held our Christmas stockings.

I opened it up, Kendall's being the one to be at the top causing me to sigh and close my eyes.

"I can't do this right now." I mumbled walking away from the boxes and up to my room.

"Tai." I heard Taraji call out behind me but I was already up the steps and heading to my room.

I went in, closing the door behind me and face planting onto my bed. Though things were going smoothly with the divorce I was still hurting. My heart was broken in the worst way possible and it was my first holiday alone relationship wise.

I was struggling in all honesty. This wasn't as easy as I was telling everyone, I still had my crying moments in the shower and late at night when my children were sleeping.

Wondering where everything went wrong in my marriage. How I missed all the signs of his infidelity.

I was basking in my self pity when I heard my door open slowly and then close. A familiar scent encapsulates me as I'm forced to roll over onto my back.

Taraji then climbs into my lap and stares at me from above, her hair framing her face perfectly.

"How long you gon sit up and be sad? I miss you." She said pouting. I wanted to kiss it away so bad.

"I'm sorry, it was just a smack in the face to see his stocking at the top. Knowing he's spending the holidays with someone he loves me than he loved me." I said softly looking away from her.  My eyes landed on the mirror next to my closet. The sight of her on top of me had my stomach doing backflips.

"Stop worrying about him. I'm here and I know I love you more than he or anybody ever could. Focus on that, focus on us." She said grabbing my hands. She intertwined our fingers, her hand fitting perfectly in mine causing me to smile.