二十九

🎵 fate - mare

People of Hanseong was shocked by the attempted murder of Lady Nabi

People of Hanseong was shocked by the attempted murder of Lady Nabi. Local officers immediately carried out an inspection. Thankfully there were no other victims apart from the three unknown men. As for Koo Hojang, she has been treated by the local doctor, although she's not yet conscious, she has passed the critical period.

Bombarded with questions, you're relieved to know everyone is fine. At the same time, also touched because in the midst of panic, people still think about you. For the time being, you temporarily evacuated people who lived with you to Jang residence--she's the other well known Kisaeng in Hanseong. Your close relationship makes her willing to accept your request.

"I will definitely repay your kindness." You said just as you were about to leave the doorway.

"God, stop. You also helped me a lot before." Jang Mi walked you to the front door while pulling the hanbok over her shoulder as the night breeze blew.

"Anyway, are you sure you want to go back there? Isn't it dangerous?" She looked towards where your residence was, a few blocks from hers, "You know, you could stay here too."

"I can't trouble you any further." You immediately declined her offer politely. Seeing Jang Mi's concerned face, you gave her a gentle squeeze on her arm, "I'll be fine." You smiled reassuringly.

"If anything happen again, come here immediately. Do you hear me?" Jang Mi pulled the hanbok from her shoulders and put it over yours, "And quickly clean yourself. You look terrifying." She couldn't bear to see the bloodstains on your thin robe.

"Alright, I'll make sure to wash this properly too." You let out a small chuckle while pulling the hanbok closer to your upper body.

As you walked back to your residence, you were grateful that Jang Mi lent you her hanbok. The wind was not too friendly that night, making your cheeks start to feel cold. You wonder if fall will come soon.

Your eyes were glued to the ground the entire way back. It took you a few seconds to realize there was another person not far from you. When you looked up, you saw Mingyu leaning against the brick fence. His eyes stared at the dark sky. You just realized, he was wearing his hunting robe which he hadn't used for a long time.

The road ahead was the closest way to your place. You could actually turn around the block to take another route, but with no energy left you decided to walk past it with your head down. No eye contact was made. Once you're a few steps ahead of him, then he follow your steps.

"Lady Nabi--!" You were a little surprised by how the Chief Officer suddenly came rushing in then started bowing repeatedly, "We are very sorry that this happened to you! We will be sending more officers to guard the area around your place from tonight onwards..!"

"No, no. There's no need to." You politely rejected his offer, explaining that Hanseong's people need their limited manpower better than you.

When you were asked a few questions by the Chief Officer, Mingyu's attention was caught by how the officers wouldn't stop bickering while half-dragging the corpse away--complaining to each other about how they thought they were the ones doing the most work.