十二

🎵 그대에게 가 닿으

Weird. You find yourself waking up in a wide empty field under the bright blue sky. The sound of grass dancing in the wind is the only thing you can hear. Cherry blossom petals blow gently in the air even though there is no sign of trees around you. It was bright yet there was no sign of the sun, only white clouds floating in the sky.

"What's with the long face?" A sweet gentle voice asked from behind.

Little by little your eyes begin to see more clearly, like puzzle pieces that one by one begin to form a complete picture. The voice sounded familiar as well as the owner's appearance. Although you immediately recognized the beautiful figure, at the same time you were also full of denial to admit that it was her that you saw.

She was sitting on a bench that you were sure wasn't there before--it came out of nowhere. Her long, braided hair fell beautifully over her right shoulder.

"...Mother..?" You called, whispering in disbelief.

Her gentle giggle brings so much memories, "Is that how a face of a soldier supposed to look like?" She said while inviting you to sit next to her.

From up close she looks exactly the same as you remember when she was ill. Even though you've grown up, she seems to have stopped aging. The difference you see is that her face got more color and looks healthier.

"How... Wait, am I dead?" You looked down at your hands, which then reminded you of your back. Surprisingly, there wasn't the slightest sign of pain.

"No, silly. You're just asleep." She looked at you with her warm eyes.

You tried not to be too obvious as you let out a sigh of relief, "So, this...is a dream?"

"Maybe." She smiled while still staring at you, imprinting every inches of your face in her head, "You've grown up."

"Yes, I did.."

Seeing that her only daughter had grown into a strong and beautiful person, she could only smile in relief, "Have you found yourself a husband?"

"What--" You coughed in surprised at the unexpected question, "Mother?"

She giggled with her hand covering her lips, "Falling in love while you're still young is a beautiful feeling, you know. What about that boy named... Uh, Seungcheolie?"

"Seungcheol is just a good friend of mine, mother." You gasped a little while blinking fast.

"Aw." She cooed in disappointment, "Then? Do you have anyone else you like?"

"No." You answered almost immediately.

"But you're blushing."

Hearing that, you immediately covered your cheeks with your palms. It was true that it felt a little warmer than usual. What's embarrassing was the fact that a face actually appeared dimly in your mind when your mother asked that question.