二十七

🎵 김장우 - promise

After the unexpected reunion, your last remaining energy has been drained from forcing yourself to smile hearing all the compliments the guests gave you

After the unexpected reunion, your last remaining energy has been drained from forcing yourself to smile hearing all the compliments the guests gave you. While thanking each person one by one, your eyes wandered looking for a quieter place to rest for a moment. Slowly, without arousing suspicion with too sudden steps, you excused yourself from the crowd, standing near the pond in the backyard of the palace.

Wrapping yourself in a warm blanket after soaking seemed like the best thing to do at the time, making you long for your not-so-big but comfortable room in Hanseong. With your current mood, you really wanted to go home. Unfortunately, only Minghao knows where the gama is and he hasn't shown any signs that he's near.

While looking at your reflection on the surface of the water, your mind took you back to the moment when you saw Mingyu suddenly appear before your eyes. Since then you've felt nothing but discomfort in your chest that makes you question yourself.

Shouldn't you be happy, isn't that what you've been chasing for the past three years--What makes it different this time? Would it be better if you didn't hear King of Choiseong's announcement about the engangement, would you be as happy as you imagined when you met him again.

Still staring at your reflection, your fingers gently touched your face. The face that everyone adore, the face that many people fight for, is it even possible to be compared to the Princess. Or more precisely, is it possible for a mere Kisaeng to be compared to a Royal Princess.

Three years of hardship, you wonder if today is the answer the universe has for you. You wonder if you should just give up and cast away your feelings for him.

"Didn't expect to find you here. What a coincidence."

You turned towards where the voice came from and saw an unfamiliar face. Seeing him made you remember, when Mingyu came, you recognized all the faces around him except for one--the same man standing right in front of you now.

"Good afternoon...?" You gestured asking for his name.

"Yoon Jeonghan." He answered with a smile, "I'm the Chief Minister of Baekje."

"Ah.." The reaction you gave just now was genuine. Meeting the minister from Baekje clearly reminds you of unpleasant memories.

"You seem surprised." Jeonghan stood next to you and joined in looking at the pond.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." You blinked as you looked away from him, "I just think for a Chief Minister, Yoon-nim is very young."

"I get that a lot." He replied, showing no intention to leave.

The silence that followed was awkward. However, rather than worrying about awkwardness, you were more worried about being alone with someone from Baekje--let alone a minister from the palace. There was a slight feeling of anxiety because you, who should be dead, were afraid of being recognized by him.