十七

🎵 한번만

Untouched food

Untouched food. Cold surface. Dim lighting. Eventually the guards got tired of your stubbornness so they stopped giving you foods. It had been three days since you were locked away from the outside world. No one comes looking for you, no one tells you what happened, the loneliness becomes unbearable at night.

Looking out through the small window, you wish the moon could speak and tell you what it witnessed. Three days in prison, you keep thinking that you have to prepare for the worst that happens. Even so, in reality it wasn't easy.

The dim light of the oil lamps that shines the prison hallway cast silhouettes of light against the rough walls, flickering as the small fire inside tried not to die out in the humid air. The sound of faint footsteps could be heard approaching. After hoping for someone's presence in the midst of loneliness, it seems that you're not ready to welcome whatever it is you're about to face.

Your hands trembled again, no longer cared about the sting that came from the reddish abrasions caused by the rough chains. Your fingers traced your wrist, not finding the bracelet you wanted to hold as a good luck charm. It instantly reminded you of the Crown Prince, and turns out, it still hurts to think about him.

"Y/N-nim?" A voice called out from the shadow in the hallway.

For the first time after you entered the prison, you slowly turned your head over your shoulder to look behind. Visually there was no one there, yet at the same time you're sure someone was watching you.

"Jisoo-nim." You called back weakly, voice hoarse from dehydration.

Jisoo's heart sank when she saw your condition. Eyes swollen and puffy, face pale, he felt his stomach turn just looking at how terrible you looked. The sound of keys jingling broke the silence as he ran and tried one by one which key was the right one to open the cell door. He clicked his tongue in annoyance when the key wouldn't fit into the lock. Your ears heard him curse when he accidentally dropped his keys.

"For heaven's sake--" The gentle Jisoo took his pent up emotion out by pushing the door open forcefully after he managed to unlock it with the right key.

He knelt right next to you, after seeing how dry and chapped your lips were, he looked around for the presence of water. However, after seeing how unsuitable the bowl of water served to you was, he couldn't help but feel irritated by it--the water was a little bit cloudy and traces of dusts were floating on the surface. He reached for the small clay bottle tied to his waistband, pulled the cork off and brought it to your lips.

"Honey?" You asked in a small whisper after smelling a trace of honey from the bottle.

"It is." Jisoo smiled a little then tilted the bottle little by little to feed you honey water. He hopes that at least the intake of honey water can help restore some of your strength, because soon he will have to take you out of prison--as he was ordered to do.