二十二

🎵 만개화

"What?!" Jisoo's loud voice startled Dokyeom

Both of them are discussing about the plans to prepare for approaching dry season with Mingyu in his palace. It's supposed to be a meeting with two other people, Seungcheol and the new chief minister Mingyu will meet soon.

"After we brought those people here, we can't just abandon all the construction just like that?" Jisoo said again, his voice still as loud as before, "Without the harbor they won't have a job, and we'll be short in foods when dry season comes!" 

Dokyeom, who's standing right next to Jisoo, tried to calm his friend down. His fingers barely touch Jisoo's shoulders when Jisoo already pushed him away.

Jisoo was angry after Mingyu suddenly said he would stop the port construction. Apparently he changed his mind about letting people enter and leave Baekje by sea. If the reason was reasonable enough, Jisoo probably wouldn't be so angry with his King. However, even Dokyeom thought his reasoning was stupid.

"I'm trying to minimize every little chance for her to be found." Mingyu's hand holding a brush already hover over the announcement letter, close to signing it.

"Just because they can sail out of Baekje doesn't mean they will find her." Jisoo sighed after rubbing his face in frustration, "Your Majesty is being too paranoid right now."

Then Jisoo looked to his right--straight at Dokyeom with his brows furrowed, "Say something will you..?!" He mouthed quietly to his friend who had been listening but didn't know when should he jump into the argument.

"I-- ahem." Dokyeom cleared his throat when his voice cracked a little, "I agree. She's in safe hands now, you choose the safe place for her yourself." He then said.

"Listen, shutting down the harbor is the same as making our people starve. We have no other plans for dry season because that harbor was the best way out." Jisoo did his job as the King's advisor as best he could, trying his best to keep Mingyu from acting stubbornly when he couldn't think clearly.

"Even if we look for alternatives now, we won't have enough time. Crops don't grow overnight." Dokyeom said while watching Jisoo snatch the announcement letter from Mingyu's desk and tear it in half.

"But I need to make sure they're all safe--"

"What you need right now--" Jisoo interrupted Mingyu, "--is a proper rest. When was the last time you slept? Just look at those dark circles."

Dokyeom has also realized how Mingyu, who was known as a very handsome man, now look more like an unkempt person. His body had lost weight, his eye bags were dark and his eye balls were not as bright as before.

"I say we postpone today's meeting and continue after you've rested. At least try to get one night's sleep." Dokyeom frowned, begging Mingyu to comply with their request.