21 | Family Feud

📍 Manchester, Jamaica | Newport

The Next Day | Sunday, August 7th

10 AM

"I'm not a fan of Jamaican food, could you cook me something else?" Julissa questions, a look of disgust set on her face as she eyes the plate in front of her.

Aye mi nah laugh.

I look over at my father, who's sitting next to her at the table, trying to gauge his reaction, praying that I misheard her.

Locking eyes with my him, he glances at me for a second, before turning his attention towards his wife.

"I've made ackee for you once before my love, don't you remember?"

Mi nuh fraid fi flip dis table over enuh.

Ruin everybody morning.

"Julissa, I am sure you'll like it if you gave it a try" Aunty Michelle encourages her, placing a spoonful of food in her mouth.

Is Julissa a child, or an adult?

Why are they treating her like she's inept?

"Leff her mek she starve, cause mi nah cook nutt'n else" I shout, finding a seat at the table and dragging out the dining chair with rage.

"Like she a sniff coke, bout can I cook something else..." I kiss my teeth, speaking loudly so that everyone can hear me clearly.

Is like seh dis lady out fi run up mi pressure.

Since they arrived yesterday, it's like I've been living in my own personal hell.

The woman is unbelievable, intolerable, and downright lacking in all kinds of broughtupsy.

Doh know which roadside gully Samson find she.

"Watch how yah speak Sarai, she's not familiar with the food is all" my father warns, trying to strike fear in me, but it doesn't work.

"Then why she neva mek her food request from early?" I quickly retort.

"Maybe me and the kitchen staff could've prepared a proper breakfast in bed for her Highness" I open one of the fried dumplings on my plate, placing one of the halves in my mouth.

Since is a hotel we a run, right?

"Sarai, come on now man. Have likkle manners nuh likkle girl" Aunty Michelle scolds, disbelief evident in her voice.

Love my aunty enuh, but she need fi stop act dunce.

"Aunty, di lady literally watched me make this entire meal from start to finish, and never once expressed any objections" I begin to explain, my mind going thousands of miles per second.