34 | Gift & A Curse

📍Manchester, Jamaica | May Day

A Week Later | Saturday, September 24th

2:00 PM

Growing up I had a great deal of reverence for my father.

I admired him.

There was a point in my early adolescent years when I often tried to emulate his likeness and mimicked how he navigated through the world.

People respected him, they went quiet when he spoke, and gave him their full attention when he entered rooms.

I wanted that for myself.

He was a man of honor, a family man, a man who made a name for himself.

A great husband, and an even better father.

I knew that when the time came for me to start my own family, have my own children, and lead my own unit.

I knew I wanted to be just like him in that way.

But right now me not even half the man he is...

I wasn't ready for fatherhood, it felt rushed, and I felt uneasy.

There was practically no time to even prepare myself for the possibility of having a child with Robyn.

We'd been together for years, sure.

But, as partners, not parents.

I've been replaying the night I heard the news over and over again in my head for weeks.

"Especially wid di baby on the way..."

Robyn's words have been on an endless loop in my head.

I hear them when I wake up, and before I lay my head on the pillows at night.

They follow me as I get ready for the day, my plus-one at all my most recent events, my companion at work, or when I am alone by myself.

Me nuh want nuh pickney wid Robyn.

It was clear as day, crystal at that.

Our relationship worked because I had the freedom to leave whenever I wanted to.

Nothing was tying me to her, nothing keeping me hostage.

When we would argue, we could go on for days, ignoring each other however we choose, and making up at any time we deemed fit.

It worked for us.

But no kid should live in an environment like that.

It felt unfair to bring a child into this world knowing how toxic of a relationship we had.

Robyn nah medz dat.

She swears the baby is gonna "fix us", she's adamant about it.

Come to think of it, in a way, there's some truth to what she's saying.