30 | When To Say When

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Newport

Two Days Later | Sunday, September 4th

8 AM

My hands are covered in her blood.

The dark red liquid spreads across the concrete ground, seeping deep into the cracks.

Everything happened so fast.

My legs are locked in place, my body completely paralyzed from the shock.

Dis cyaa real...

One second, we were sitting outside on the verandah doing what we did daily, and before I knew it her body was sliding off the plastic chair towards the ground.

Blood is everywhere, accenting the furniture on the verandah, and decorating my clothes and body.

Her body is limp, lying across the floor as her arms sit feebly at her side.

There she was, dying in front of me, and I couldn't get myself to do anything about it.

Mighty God...

My eyes flutter shut, falling out of focus as my heart rate increases as the minutes pass by.

At that moment, it became increasingly clear that nothing I could do would save her.

She had already left us.

"Sevana, call Samir now" Sarai cries out, dropping to her knees.

She grabs Mommy's body in her arms, shaking her frantically.

"Mommy! Stay wid we please, do me a beg yuh"

Mommy...

Mommy.

"Aye, babes! Babes?" I hear Noah's voice, and it brings me out of the dream.

I am drenched in sweat, my oversized t-shirt is soaked, as droplets fall from my forehead onto the sheet covers.

What the fuck.

He pulls me into an embrace, and the feeling of his hands around my body grants me instant serenity.

Me can finally feel me heartbeat again...

My nightmares have gotten worse since moving out of the house with Sarai.

Tormented yuh fuck.

They happen regularly, coming and going throughout the night, always taking place at the same scene.

The conversation I had with Sarai at mommy's grave has exacerbated their frequency.

It's like I am rewatching the trauma of it all every time I close my eyes, there was no escape.