26 | Chess Not Checkers

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Mandeville

A Few Days Later | Wednesday, August 24th

1 PM

"Miss West?"

I look up from my phone, coming face to face with the elderly woman who's standing in front of me.

Her small frame is swimming in the oversized dress and cardigan set she's sporting.

She likkle bit and cute eeh.

"That's me" I reply with a smile, shoving my phone deep into my purse.

"Mr. Cohen will see you now," she says, extending her hand toward the large room at the end of the hallway.

That was quick.

Me not even did haffi wait too long.

I stand up, grabbing ahold of my handbag and throwing it over my shoulder.

"Thank you" I quickly tell her, leaving her by the waiting room as I walk in the direction of the office.

As I approach the office door, a subtle feeling of anxiety comes over me.

Me nuh know why me fraid enuh.

Pushing back my nerves, I inhale a deep breath, pushing my hair out of my face before knocking slightly on the door.

"It's open"

Here goes nothing.

"Hi Mr. Cohen, I'm Sarai" I announce, pushing open the heavy wooden door.

Girl, him know dat already.

"Hello Sarai, it's nice to finally meet you in person, you can call me Gabriel" he replies, standing up from his desk.

Mighty God.

Watch Cyrus and Maxe.

Walking around his desk, he extends his right arm to me.

He is the spitting image of his sons, in every way, down to the bloodclaat walk.

Crazy.

"I've heard a lot about you," he says, taking my hand in his and shaking it.

Mi muma.

"Good things, I hope" I chuckle nervously, closing the door behind me, locking us inside.

"Of course, a yuh alone Amina a talk bout these days enuh" he says with a smile.

Oh...

Amina.

Cause if a did such man, yuh woulda hear how me a di devil.

"Have a seat" he tells me, and I don't hesitate to fulfill his request.