39 | Death At A Funeral (Part II)

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Mandeville

The Same Day | Wednesday, October 12th

4:30 PM

I wish my first time seeing her again wasn't under these conditions.

It felt weird meeting again like this...

"You don't deserve to be alive" she sobs, covering her mouth with her hands.

She was hurt, pain was written all over her face.

Sarai's on the ground, hugging herself as she weeps, her cries send shivers down my spine.

Every word she spoke, had been laced with heavy emotion.

"Babes, come on, get up" Alex declares, dropping to the ground to retrieve her.

She pushes him off, tussling with him, refusing to stand up.

"Baby please, come nuh" Alex pleads, wrapping her body in his arms.

"Yuh let your feeling get ahead of you, just like yuh mada" her father proclaims, pulling out a cigarette from his pants pocket.

He steps into the yard, flickering his lighter as he places the cig between his lips.

"That's the problem with women, too emotional..."

He was arrogant, I could tell that much, and I hated how he spoke to her.

As he began to approach her, a deep rage began to swarm inside me, causing me to lose my cool.

I step in front of him, blocking him from getting any closer to her.

"Nuh bada wid dat, doh mek a wrong move" I tell him, halting him with my hand.

Looking behind him, I spot Sevana and Noah, their gaze shifting between us, Sarai, and Alex.

For the most part, all eyes were on us, almost an exact rendition of Lailah's birthday party.

Speaking of which...

Where's Lailah?

I turn around in search of her, scanning the backyard, before landing on Maxe who has her safe in his arms.

He nods, affirming that everything is good on his end.

Thank God.

Alex and I had gotten up so fast, that we were just moving on impulse, Sarai's safety had been the top priority at that time.

"Sarai, you have all these people in our business, this should be a family-only issue" Samson grunts, but he doesn't step any closer.

"Bredda, yuh neva hear me? Lowe dat and lock chat" I interject, pushing into his shoulder.