7 | In Da Club

📍 Mandeville, Manchester | Caledonia Road

Few Days Later | Friday, June 24th

11 PM

When Cyrus first told me he wanted to open a club, I fully envisioned it to be a strip club.

Did expect fi see couple gyal ah tip pon dem toe and ah slide down couple pole.

In all honesty, it seemed like the kind of business he'd be interested in starting, so I was quite surprising when I found out that his mind hadn't even considered the thought.

Eva since Robyn tie him, di man nuh wah have nuh fun.

As I pulled into the parking lot of Club 550, the sound of the music coming from inside could be heard loud and clear.

The bass from the DJ's speakers shook the concrete, and cars jostled from their spaces as the beat got more intense.

Once I put my car in park, I reach into my center console for my phone.

To: Mandem 🦇

Cyrus
'Mi tell Javaun fi lock of di big section fi unuh'

Maxe
'Woulda find mi way up deh regardless 😭'

Cyrus
'Mi know man 🤣'

Alex
'Anybody ah perform tn or ah juss regular vibes?'

Tavon
'Nobody big nah come ah country dis time ah night'

Maxe
'Why people still consider yasso as back bush?'

Alex
'Anuh bush we live?'
'Todey mi see wah man ah carry two goat pon him head top ah walk guh inna Scotia'

Tavon
'Fucka love lie eesi 😭'

I chuckle to myself as I exit our groupchat, pushing my phone deep into my back pocket before grabbing my keys and exiting the car.

Mi really did see di man enuh...

The night air hits me as soon as I step outside, I don't hesitate to take in the scene of cars and people in front of me.

Tonight feel like ah gyalis night in the making.

I ensure the doors of my car are locked before I begin to saunter up towards the club entrance.

I don't bother to check in with the bouncers, hailing the security at the door as I make my way inside.

"Why does he get to skip the line?" I hear someone protest from behind me.

"Miss, mi tell yuh already seh yuh need fi wait your turn" one of the bouncers replies to her.

Shaking off her comment with laughter, it doesn't take long for me to reach the center of the club.