22 | Legacy

📍 Kingston, St

📍 Kingston, St. Andrew | Beverly Hills

Two Days Later | Friday, August 12th

9 PM

My mother is known for keeping up with appearances.

Our family always had to be in line with societal standards and expectations, never faltering from the pristine image she wanted us to portray to others.

It was all learned behavior, passed down from her mother's mother to her mother, and then to her.

So, as you can imagine, I was her worst nightmare.

"Will you be back for Christmas Nana?" Amina asks our grandmother, finding a seat at the foot of her bed.

I keep my standing position by the door frame, ready and willing to act out my escape soon enough.

Pearl, or should I say Nana, was a habitual yapper.

Di ooman naave nuh stopping point.

Once she open fi har mouth, ah it dat.

"Of course she has to come back," our mother scoffs, "she better not spend the holidays with anyone else", a playful laugh escapes her lips.

She smiles at her mother, and Pearl returns it.

Nana was home for one of my cousin's christening, and most of my mother's immediate and extended family were gathered here in Kingston for the event.

How dem convince me fi come up yasso?

I don't know.

I look over at Cyrus who's in one of the corner sitting chairs, his eyes are set on his phone, and his attention is focused elsewhere.

Probably ah argue wid Robyn.

Dats all dem good fah.

My father is following suit, while he doesn't have a device, I can tell his mind is wandering, as he slightly dozes off every few minutes in the rocking chair next to the bed.

Gabriel a tun inna wah old man enuh.

Di man a snore dung di place, room juss a shake.

"Your mother and her sisters would kill me" Nana laughs, replying to Amina's earlier question.

She spent her days between London and Jamaica, traveling back and forth as she pleased.

She and my grandfather had a bit of a different marriage, they were romantically divorced but refused to follow through legally because they didn't want the public to be involved.

Keeping up appearances.

I decide to finally chime in, my mind set on something completely unrelated.