33 | Chip On My Shoulder

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Cross Keys

A Few Days Later | Friday, September 16th

5 PM

"Why yuh neva bring Lailah wid yuh?" My mother asks, entering a key into that lock that was set on her grill gate.

She love when me repeat miself enuh.

"Mummy, me already tell yuh seh Sarai nah mek me see her unsupervised" I reply, stepping through the gate and into her yard.

"Unsupervised? She really still have yuh up?" she exclaims, kissing her teeth.

Yea, and a bout time fi she get over it now.

"She a act childish now mummy, and grudgeful like wah" I shrug, walking behind her as she leads us towards the house.

I won't act like I didn't put Sarai in an uncomfortable position.

But it had been over two months since everything had unfolded, and she refused to work on a way forward.

The solution she wanted was not possible.

Me nah leff me ooman.

So we had to find some way to live cohesively, without me being separated from my child.

"She cyaa keep yuh from Lai Noah, dat nuh legal. Mind me drop dung out yah..." Mommy declares, finding a seat on one of the outdoor chairs on the verandah.

Sarai a wah undercover criminal.

She nuh care bout legality.

"One a me girlfriend from high school, her big son a lawyer, me can get him fi call yuh and gih yuh some advice enuh" she says, locking eyes with me.

Mussi mad.

"No Mummy, me and Sarai aguh figure dis out between di two a we, me nuh wah nobody inna me business"

Me can handle Sarai, juss haffi hit her where it hurts.

I was hesitant at first to escalate things on my side, not wanting to show all my cards too soon, but she's pushed me to the point of no return.

First, it was cutting off my contact with Lailah, only allowing me to see my daughter on her own time.

Then when me find out seh she have man round me likkle gyal pickney, me get dawk immediately.

Who she think she be?

Worse me nuh like dah bredda deh, him arrgoant yuh fuck, nuh trust di fucka.

"So weh yah guh do son? Cause Lailah need her daddy..." Mommy asks, releasing an exasperated sigh as she rubs her hand over her heart.

She dramatic morewhile enuh.