2 | Grown

📍 Montego Bay, Jamaica | Ironshore

Next Day | Sunday, June 5th

10 AM

"Sarai, yuh need fi hurry up or else mi aguh leff yuh"

I hear the sound of my aunt's voice call from downstairs.

She was dropping me off at the hotel on her way to her job this morning.

She had been generous enough to let me stay with her on the days I needed to be in Mobay for work, free of charge.

Dropping me to and from work, or helping me pay for a taxi to carry me around.

Big Up Michelle!

She was my father's youngest sister and by far my favorite sibling of his.

I honestly would not have been able to take this job without her.

If I had to travel back and forth every day between Manchester and St. James, mi woulda quit before mi even start.

True sumn...

But I needed this job more than ever.

It was hard finding work in Mandeville these days, especially a job that would pay well enough.

"Mi ah come, doh leff mi please" I shout back, hoping my voice carries down the hallway.

I start to look around frantically, in search of my handbag that had been missing since I got home last night.

Found it!

I let out a sigh of relief as I grabbed my bag that was stuck deep under the bed.

Honestly don't know how that got there...

After checking the room one last time for all my personal belongings, I take one last look at myself in the mirror before running towards the stairs.

I find my aunt sitting on the living room couch.

"Yuh look nice...but yuh need fi learn fi be more punctual" she says to me, getting up from her position.

Mi not even aguh give har no back chat.

Deh yah ah live under her roof suh haffi juss gwaan wull it...