36 | More Money, More Problems

Author's Note: This chapter portrays the POV of two characters without face-claims (FC). I decided not to assign FC for any characters outside of the main cast list, to allow you as the reader to imagine these people however you desire.

This chapter has one major flashback, which occurred before the date stated in the first chapter (June 4th). There will also be a time skip to the present day for the second POV.

●●●

Gabriel Cohen's POV

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Cypclaire Close

FLASHBACK | Sunday, May 22nd

1 AM

"How many months we looking at?" I ask, pinching at the bridge of my nose.

It was late, far past my normal bedtime.

I wasn't used to up at this time a night, worse Celine soon start look fi me.

"It's hard to say, Gabriel, the market is becoming less predictable as the years draw on"

Courtney pours another round of whiskey into both our glasses, before walking over to the large window that overlooked the backyard.

He places his right hand into his pants pocket.

"We had plans for this business before our kids were alive, we worked hard on this Gabriel..."

"Sacrificed a lot too" I add, leaning back into my office chair.

The house was quiet, Amina had gone out for the evening with one of her friends, and Celine was fast asleep upstairs.

But not for long...

"Me juss cyaa believe see a suh it aguh end" I chuckle in disbelief.

It felt like I was losing control, spiraling into an abyss which I feared I couldn't come back from.

I wasn't used to this kinda conflict, I always had a solution.

Even if it was just a temporary one.

"I tried to talk to some of the board executives earlier this week, to see if anyone would be willing to stand in as an angel investor..." Courtney says, recounting his activities from the past week.

"They've lost faith in the company Gabriel, it felt like I was begging" he turns to face me.

What a way crawsis nuh fraid fi find me.

"Neva dem truss dem inna di first place, dem wouldn't know a good ting even if it fi get up and bax dem dung" I sneer, slamming my fist against the wooden desk.

I was heated.

I'd put up my life savings to help many of those men on that board, stood in for them when they needed me, and this is how they repay me.

Put quality time with my family, my wife, and my children on the line.

Dedicated myself to the cause.

For what?

For this slap in the face?

Fuck them.

"So weh we supposed to do now Courtney? What are the solutions?" I probe, running my hand across my face.

"Afta me nuh know Gabriel, two a we inna di same bloodclaat boat" he exclaims, his shoulders slink into a nonchalant shrug.

It bout fi sink wid we inna it.