23 | Girls Need Love Too

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Newport

The Next Day | Sunday, August 14th

5 PM

"Lailah, di two a we haffi tun friend soon enuh" I whisper, steading her body as I bouned her lightly on my knee.

She gives me a confused look and scrunches up her eyebrows, nostrils flared.

Do God, doh mek her bawl again.

Thankfully my prayers aren't sent out in vain, in seconds, she drops her defensive demeanor and erupts into giggles.

Aii sah

"See..." I tease her, pinching her cheeks as she smiles at me.

"Two a we a bestie man, me did already know"

Cause me nay do nutt'n to dah likkle girl enuh.

"Doh mek she trick yuh yer?" Melody laughs, finding a seat on the opposite couch.

"Di lady sometimeish bad, all when she love yuh she will bawl"

I shift my gaze back to Lailah who's looking up at me with her deep brown eyes.

"A true sumn dem a talk?" I ask, not expecting an answer.

It as was if my question acted as a trigger, because what was once a happy Lailah, soon became replaced with a very upset toddler.

"Yuh wicked enuh Lai" Melody exclaims, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Gih me har, she probably ready fi sleep now" she says, extending her arms as she walks closer to where we are seated.

Without a second thought, I hand Lailah over, and my anxiety decreases as soon as she's out of my arms.

Step-fada life nuh easy at all.

Once they're out of the room, I sink my body into the couch, finally taking in my surroundings.

Place quiet yuh fuck.

The living room was dimly lit, the only source of light coming from a standing lamp and the moonlight piercing through the curtained windows.

The place felt like a home, more than just a house, I could tell that many different lives have lived in these rooms and walked through these hallways.