14 | Catch 22

📍 Manchester, Jamaica | Ingleside

The Next Day | Sunday, July 17th

2:30 PM

Hearing a car pull into my driveway, I stand up from my spot on the couch and walk towards my front door.

Even though I hadn't seen the person just yet, I knew exactly who it was.

She kinda early stillz...

When did two-thirty become the new three?

I peep out the front window, shifting the curtain slightly, as I watch her hop out of the driver's side before walking to her back seat.

She grabs her daughter in her arms, propping her up on her hip, before grabbing what looks like a diaper bag from the trunk.

Lailah fava har mada bad.

Once she has everything she needs, she approaches the front door.

I don't hesitate to swing it open, meeting her with a huge smile on my face.

Nah lie, mi excited fi see har...

It was just something about her that kept me on my toes.

Do you want to know the best part about our relationship?

It was that we were just friends getting to know each other, so my excitement wasn't inappropriate or even remotely unwarranted.

She wasn't mine to want anyway.

This was all Alex's.

"Cyrus" she announces, returning my smile.

What a gyal pretty.

"Sarai" I reply, admiring her a bit, before shifting my gaze to Lailah soon after.

I extend my arms to them, motioning that I want to take the baby from her.

Sarai obliges, and soon I am holding on securely to Lai as I walk into the house, leaving her mother at the front door.

"So yuh juss aguh tek mi pickney from me like dat?"

"Nah guh even say what's up to di mada"

I look over my shoulder to see a look of disbelief on her face, but I pay it no mind, finding a seat instead for me and Lailah.

"Weh yuh like watch pon di TV?" I ask Lailah, not expecting a response, but picking up the remote nonetheless.

She looks up at me with her big brown eyes, half lost in thought, as a toothy smile comes across her lips.

Just vibes inna har head enuh...

Not ah care inna di world fi dis one.

"Sesame Street it is" I declare, leaning back on the couch as I position her properly in my arms.