Episode 5, chapter 17

Warren had asked me to bring supplies down to the basement so I recruited Ava an B/n to help me. Ava was tasked with bringing a bunch of the canned food down, and B/n was to bring silverware, water, and some board games.

I was getting medical supplies, lanterns, flashlights, and blankets. Warren had told me to strip all the beds since we didn't know how long we'd be down there. I was currently in one of the guest rooms, tugging off the blankets, when the blanket finally came loose with a giant tug I fell back on my ass knocking a picture frame off the dresser.

I wadded up the blanket and carefully got to my knees picking up the frame, flipping it over. My heart clenched, it was my parents, Warren, Antoine, me, and my two sister Sarah, and Elizabeth. My mom was pregnant with B/n at the time. Sarah was five, Elizabeth was nine, and I was twelve. 

I was perched on Warren's back grinning widely, Antoine had Lizzie on his hip and they were both making piece signs whilst sticking their tongues out. My dad was holding a laughing Sarah upside down while my mom stood there holding her Belly and smiling fondly.

I hadn't even realized I was crying until a tear fell onto the glass, I quickly wiped it away and walked over to the pile of blankets throwing them over my shoulder, I held the picture frame close to my chest and walked back down stairs.

As I was walking through the living room I was stopped by a voice. "Y/n/n you okay?" Dad asked stopping in-front of me and placing a hand under my chin tilting my face up.

I started nodding and then quickly shook my head, "No." My voice trembled. I showed him the picture and he smiled sadly, he brought me in for a hug and rested his chin on my head, rocking me slightly.

"Am I a bad person for being happy their not here?" I asked more tears escaping my eyes. "No honey, you're not, I'm also relieved their not here." he said pressing a kiss to my head.

"Kids their age shouldn't have had to endure the apocalypse, no one should." he said releasing me, "Now go help those kids that need you." he said pushing me gently towards the basement.

I wiped my tears away and walked to the door opening it and descending into the darkness.

~~~Time skip~~~

After a few more trips around the house the basement was ready, Ava, B/n and I had built a small fort with the spare blankets. I was now sitting in it looking at the picture reminiscing about that summer.

I hadn't even noticed Ava sit down next to me, "Who are they?" she asked point at Sarah and Elizabeth. I sighed and looked at her, "Those are my sisters." I said throwing my arm around her and pulling her close. "What happened to them?" She asked.

'Well better out than in.' I thought. "They were hit by car." I said swallowing a lump. "It was my fault I was supposed to be watching them." Tears were flowing freely now, "I'm sorry." I apologized wiping them away.

"Don't be." she said softly. "I think there's more to the story, I don't think it was your fault." I scratched my arm and said, "There is."

~~~Flashback four years ago~~~

A teenaged Y/n chased a ten year old Lizzie around the yard, her five year old sister Sarah was playing with their puppy, dash. Her father was shipped out again leaving his nine month old wife alone with three kids and one on the way.

Y/n had caught Lizzie and they laughed, Lizzie gave her older sister a kiss then ran off to play with Sarah and Dash. Y/n hunched over trying to catch her breath when she heard a scream from inside. Y/n startled raced away inside to her mom who was lying in a heap at the end of the stairs.