Episode 4, Chapter 13

The gang and I had stopped to take a bathroom break out in a field, I was leaning on the truck in-between 10k's legs who was sitting on the side. He was mercying Amish Z's with his slingshot.Addy was standing in the road looking around incredulously, "Amish zombies. Really?" she said. "Really?" she repeated wrinkling her nose.

 Dad turned to us from the front of the truck. "They tried to quarantine from the rest of society. Keep the Zs from spreading the infection." He said, hands on his hips.

"That was before we knew Romero had it right. We were all carrying the virus. Didn't matter who you were or how you died." Mack said from under the hood. Okay I may have lied, we didn't stop for a pee break we stopped due to car troubles.

"Night of the Living Dead. Great movie." Addy paused. "Sucky reality." I finished. We high-fived and 10k handed me his slingshot moving away from me and rummaging in the truck. I looked around spotting a Z. I put one of the gears in the sling, pulled it back and released it.

The gear went through one zombie and hit the one right behind it. "Two birds, one stone." I said walking around the truck to see (B/N) snoozing, quietly. I smiled at him and turned back around. "You know what I don't get, If the Z's didn't spread the virus, How did we all get infected?" Addy asked, looking at my dad.

"Best guess I heard, It was spread by birds. Some kind of parasite piggy backed on the bird flu. Stays dormant 'till you die." Dad said, raising an eyebrow. "You know, take it from somebody who knows first hand. Other than the fact that they find brains delicious, when it comes to zombies nobody knows nothing'." Murphy said, leaning against the truck. Warren came back around, and nodded at murphy.

"My turn." Murphy huffed walking up to Addy holding his hand out for toilet paper. Addy pulled off two squares and handed it to him. "Have we just met?" he asked her. Addy looked up at him with a grimace, but handed him one more square.

"Thank you." He said pushing past her, "Hey, hurry up. I want to get past DC before dark." Dad said, stopping Murphy with a look. "Yeah, yeah, yeah." Murphy waved him off walking into the field.

"I'm tellin' ya, there ain't nothing' there. No thoughts, no memories. No soul. Nothin'." I heard doc say from the bed. I walked over to the tire, stepped up and threw myself over the side, getting comfortable next to 10k.

"Well they're not dead. They want something." Cassandra said looking at Doc."Yeah. Brains." Doc said obviously. "You can't want something if you're not conscious, if you don't have a soul." Cassandra replied.

"Damn straight, hit that one dead on Cass." I said grinning at my pun. Cass snorted and shook her head. Doc leant forward and gave me a high-five before sitting back and taking a swig of his drink.

"When my pa was wounded, he told me to tie him up before he turned." 10k said looking down fiddling with his knife. A pit formed in my stomach, I had a feeling I knew where this was going."Made me promise to show him mercy when he died. Kill the brain, you know?" he said looking at us then back down. "I couldn't do it. I couldn't hurt my pa, no matter what he'd become." He said sniffing quietly.

I laid my hand on his back, comfortingly. I waited for him to shrug me off but he didn't so I started to rub up and down. "I stared into his eyes for the longest time, just looking for some sign he was still in there" He continued looking back up.

"Did you see anything?" Cassandra asked. I scooted closer to him, our thighs touching, and I wrapped my arm around his waist. He shook his head slowly.

"What did you do?" Doc asked. "I killed it." 10k said sternly. "Oh 10k." I whispered. He laid his hand on my thigh, and squeezed. "Damn, kid. You had to put down your own dad?" Doc asked softly.

"Didn't kill him. Killed it." 10k said sternly again. "But if it's not alive, how did you kill it?" Cassandra said. "Piked it. Right here." He said gesturing to his forehead with his knife.

"My first kill. I always wish he knew, you know, somehow knew that I kept my promise." he said, biting his lip and looking down again. I felt so bad for him, I knew that if I ever had to mercy my own dad I probably wouldn't make it. 10k was so much stronger than I'd ever be.

~~time skip~~

We continued driving for a while before we saw a super old beat up orange bug start driving behind us. Doc knocked on the window, "Humans! Six o'clock!" he said loud enough everyone inside could hear.

"I see them." Warren called back, speeding up slightly. "Is that more of your cannibal friends?" Doc asked Cassandra. She shook her head, "No. Something else."

"Up ahead!" Mack shouted, nodding ahead of us. I stood up looking over the cab to see a crowd of zombies, but something felt off. I adjusted my rifle on my shoulder. 10k stood up as well looking around.

 He suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the slowly moving truck.

"Where are they going?" Doc asked Mack. "Hey! Kids!"

10k held my hand, pulling me after him into the trees. We ran a good distance before coming to a stop in a clearing of trees. He pulled me in front of him and pushed me gently in the direction of the tree. I climbed up into it a little ways. He stood under me and we trained our guns on the Zombies in front of the group.

Turns out the guys we thought were Zombies turned out to be humans training guns on my family. 10k nodded at me and we both fired our guns, 10k taking out a Z and I taking out a human.

The guys looked around slightly alarmed, I saw doc say something but couldn't see what. My dad held up a closed fist, signaling us to hold our fire. I gently put my hand on 10k's head and he released his trigger, however we both continued to watch through our sights.

I could tell Murphy was saying something, I figured it was something probably not helpful. "Fucking Murphy." I whispered. I saw a slight smile cross 10k's features before quickly disappearing.

I saw my dad say something and everybody raised their guns so 10k and I let our fingers rest on our triggers again. I saw Warren look defeated and lower her weapon so we packed our rifles back on our shoulders, 10k grabbed my waist and pulled me out of the tree, we started our trek back to the group.

By the time we got back I saw the truck driving off with the guys hooting and hollering, and the group squishing into the bug. Warren, dad, Murphy, and Cassandra squished into the car. 10k joined Doc and stood where the trunk would be. Mack and Addy sat on top of where the engine was at, and I climbed on top of the car. Mack passed (B/n) up to me, who quickly sat on my lap.

We slowly started off, crawling forward on our way to California once more.