44. Your Name Hurts

''Soften your knees. Feet light.'' Criston remarked as the young princes were training together in the courtyard. 

''Keep your feet light and your hands heavy.'' Harwin instructed. He of course had taken a keen interest in the princess Rhaenyra's childrens training. 

''I've won my first bout, Ser Criston. My opponent sues for mercy.'' Aegon said pompously and Criston turned back to Aegon.

"Okay can we talk about it?" Gwayne questioned. 

"What?" Davina questioned. 

"Are you late?'

"Late? For a council meeting? I dont think so." Davina offered. 

"Are you late?" Gwayne repeated holding onto her hands. 

"I... might be." Davina admitted. Gwaynes eyes went wide. "It doesnt mean anything." 

"He could mean..." He prompted.

"I know, I know." Davina grumbled. "You might be getting everything you wanted." Gwayne deflated a little. 

"You can't honestly tell me you dont want a child of your own?" Gwayne questioned, Davina's face turned down. "You are so good with the kids, with Aegon. He adores you..."

"I adore them but..."

"Talk to me." Gwayne begged. 

"My mother died in childbirth." Davina reminded him. "I know its common but I dont really want to risk it. I like living." 

''Close with him! Stay on the attack! Use your feet!'' Criston went on, Harwin glanced back at him nervously, shifting from foot to foot. Aegon grunted out as he kept swinging.

"Ser Criston." Harwin sneered.

''Don't let him get up.'' Criston shouted ''Stay on the attack!''

''Enough!'' Harwin shouted pulling Aegon back from Jace.

''You dare put hands on me?'' Aegon shouted in outrage.

''Aegon!'' Viserys called down, that was not very prince like behavior his outburst.

''You forget yourself, Strong.'' Criston said calmly. ''That is the Prince.''

''This is what you teach, Cole?'' Harwin countered. ''Cruelty... to the weaker opponent?'' Harwin got down picking up the sparing swords.

''Your interest in the princeling's training is quite unusual, Commander." Criston remarked. "And yours lieutenant... Most men would only have that kind of devotion toward a cousin... or a brother... or a son.'' Criston egged him on and thats when Gwayne and Davina heard screaming from the courtyard. Criston lay bloody on the ground but a smirk on his face.

''Thought as much.'' Criston muttered.

"Seven hells." Davina muttered. "This is another reason," Davina added. "Because cute little boys turn into idiotic men." Gwayne couldnt argue with her assessment. 

+

''It fills me with unrelenting shame.' Lyonel remarked.

''So that's what this is about then? Your shame.'' Harwin countered

''Our shame, Harwin!'' Lyonel shouted back. ''Shame on the whole of House Strong.'

"The tiff in the yard... yes well Criston needs a good punch every now and again." Davina assured.

"Lord Strong is not going to be happy." Rhaenyra countered.

"I'm sorry does the hand make the decisions or me?" Davina reminded her and Rhaenyra chuckled. "The correct answer is me." Davina reminded her.