13. Heir

Lovebomb/ Bronn out now!

"Do you know the last time you made a royal summons and made a big deal about it you sent he who shall not be named far far away after shouting at him. That makes me worry when you send men to escort me here. And you are in king mode." Davina remarked. Viserys offered her a smile though. 

"I have been thinking of a formal heir ceremony." Viserys remarked.

"about damn time." Davina agreed.

"I..." Viserys hesitated. "I know its not... tell me about you and Gwayne." he offered instead. 

"He's..." Davina cleared her throat. "Fun." She offered. 

"I see the change in you Davina." Viserys remarked. 

"He's a good guy. Which I know, trust me I was surprised about too!" Davina agreed. "Quite the change from evil Knievel to mr do gooder. I dont know what he sees in me." Davina admitted. 

"A beautiful and brilliant young woman?" Viserys offered. 

"No, probably not." Davina mused.  

"You are a good girl, you were always my favorite."

"I know." Davina agreed. "Sorry we butted heads for so long." 

"I'm glad we have made amends." 

"It only took getting rid of he who shall not be named for us to be real siblings again." Davina agreed. Viserys nodded grabbing her hand. "are you happy with Alicent?" Viserys shrugged. 

"She is a sweet girl." 

"Are you happy? I'm happy with Gwayne, he makes me happy." Viserys sighed heavily. "Vis, I think you need a mistress and I think alicent needs the equivalent of a male mistress." Davina added. 

"Are you offering because Davina I love you but-"

"No! Gross you are my brother." Davina corrected. 

"Didnt stop you before." Viserys mused, Davina rolled her eyes. "Alright I will stop tormenting you." Viserys agreed. 

"Good." Davina agreed loudly. 

'You know, Balerion was the last living creature to have seen Old Valyria before the Doom. Its greatness and its flaws." Viserys remarked. 

"I was just trying to find Gwaynes flaws." Davina mused.  

"When you look at the dragons, what do you see?' Viserys questioned as his fingers tranced along the monument. The dragon skull, beautiful before them. 

'I see a dragon. Balerion." Davina answered confused. 

'Answer me, seriously please.' Viserys requested. 'It's important.' Davina stared up at the dragon. 'What do you see?' Viserys pushed

'I suppose I see us.' Davina answered. "We are dragons, we hold ourselves to a higher standard..." she shrugged. 

'Tell me more.' Viserys urged.

'Everyone says Targaryens are closer to gods than to men, but they say that because of our dragons. Without them, we're just like everyone else. And I can't imagine life without my Fury. It's horrifying." Davina assured.  "But people think that the idea that we control the dragons... is an illusion, I suppose. They're a power man should never have trifled with. One that brought Valyria its doom... which is why women should be in charge." Davina added proudly. Viserys chuckled giving her shoulder a squeeze. 

''If we don't mind our own histories, it will do the same to us. Targaryen must understand this to be King... or Queen.' Viserys told her confidently.

"You remind me so much of our mother, Davina." Viserys remarked. 

"Thanks." Davina whispered, she loved her mother, missed her for years, it was an ache in her heart that she couldnt let go of. 

"She would have been so proud of the woman you became, she would have believed this as I do... that you could be a great ruling queen.'' Viserys remarked and Davina gaped back at him. 

"I'm sorry, repeat that?" Davina gaped. 

 'This is no trivial gesture, Davina, I have known you your whole life, been there from the start.... A dragon's saddle is one thing, one thing that you and Fury dont actually have but you ride him well," Viserys corrected. 

"He doesnt like saddles." Davina agreed her voice distant as she tried to process.

"But my dearest Davina, the Iron Throne is the most dangerous seat in the realm.' Viserys warned.

'There's something else that I need to tell you. It might be difficult for you to understand, but you must hear it. Our histories... they tell us that Aegon looked across the Blackwater from Dragonstone, and saw a rich land ripe for the capture. But ambition alone is not what drove him to conquest. It was a dream. And just as Daenys foresaw the end of Valyria, Aegon foresaw the end of the world of men.' Viserys told her letting out a long sigh. ''Tis to begin with a terrible winter gusting out of the distant north.'

"Viserys-"

"Let me tell you this, let me pass down this prophecy so one of us can get it right." He begged. 

"Okay." Davina breathed back as he held onto her hands. 

'Aegon saw absolute darkness riding on those winds. And whatever dwells within will destroy the world of the living. When this Great Winter comes, Davina... all of Westeros must stand against it. And if the world of men is to survive, a Targaryen must be seated on the Iron Throne. A king or queen, strong enough to unite the realm against the cold and the dark. Aegon called his dream The Song of Ice and Fire. This secret... it's been passed from king to heir since Aegon's time. Now you must promise to carry it... and protect it. Promise me this, Davina. Promise me.''

"I promise Viserys." Davina agreed. "I promise."