8 | Address It

📍 Manchester, Jamaica | Cypclaire Close

Few Days Later | Sunday, June 26th

7 PM

"Amina, when will the food be arriving?" my mother questions, looking up from her phone.

We were all currently sitting around the living room, catching up, and playing a game of Monopoly.

Tonight's dinner was being prepared by the wonderful kitchen staff at Junior's BBQ.

Mi mada hate cook.

Actually, mi mada cyaa cook.

Muma cyaa even boil likkle water...shameful.

Every day they like to complain about how careless I am with my money, but here they are buying cooked food for a simple Sunday night dinner.

Pot calling the kettle black.

"In about 30 minutes mommy, mi fren juss pick it up" Amina replies.

As a kid, if it wasn't for my father's family, we wouldn't have known anything weh name home cooked food.

My mada cooking ah guh head to head wid Jerry one pot meal.

Three ah dem ah boil into one!

"Which friend?" my father asks, looking at Amina over his reading glasses.

"One of my newer friends, you don't know them" she replies, keeping steady eye contact with him.

Chubble!

"Hmmmpphh" he says, pushing up his lips before turning his attention back to the TV.

Mi wah know which friend to enuh...

Mommy turns to face all of us, picking up the remote from the coffee table to lower the volume on the TV.

"It's been so long since we've all gotten together like this" she gushes, a huge smile on her face.

Cyrus is the first to respond.

"Anuh last month di whole ah we did deh yah?"

"Last month? You think it's okay for us to only see each other once a month Cyrus?" my mother gasps, placing her hand over her heart.

"Ah dat mi seh Celine?" he replies, taunting her a bit, a smirk never leaving his face.

Why him love draw her out?

"Who are you calling that? Remember your place little boy" she warns him, aiming her pointer finger in his direction.

"Beat him mommy....ah two raas lick him need" Amina chimes in, a sneaky gleam in her eye as she begins to instigate the situation.