Baby names (33)

MAYA'S POV

My period was late, and I was beginning to get more frantic with each day that passed.

I guess I was just scared, scared of what would happen if it never came, scared of the outcome.

If I did so happen to be pregnant, I honestly didn't know what I was going to do. I couldn't afford a kid and I sure as hell didn't know how to raise one. I didn't even want kids, nor did I want anything to do with them in general.

I needed to go and get a pregnancy test soon, or I might have went insane with anxiety and being on edge all the time.

                                         ***

The weather was finally slightly warming back up as April rolled around, that also meant Robert's birthday as well.

I hadn't got him anything yet, as I really had no clue what he'd want. I was determined to find something though. My top priority though at that moment was to find out for good if I had been paranoid for no reason or if my life really was changing.

It was a lazy Saturday, Robert and I had been laying around all. I decided that was probably the time to make my move.

"Hey, I'm gonna go out for a few. I'll be back later." I spoke as I rose off of the couch and out of Robert's grasp.

"Can I come with?" He whined.

"I'm going for you're presents, so no actually." I smiled, ruffling his hair a bit as he was still sprawled out onto the couch. What I said wasn't technically a lie, but that wasn't the main reason I was leaving.

"Alright.." he groaned as he flipped over on his side.

"Ok, well I'll see you later. Love you." I spoke before kissing his forehead and walking out, my bag in hand.

I drove myself to the store with Robert's car, grabbing what I needed and awkwardly checking out as quick as possible.

I hurried back into the car where I then placed my head onto the steering wheel in distress. What was I going to do if I was pregnant? And how the hell would I ever manage to confess that to Robert?

I'd made up my mind that I'd take the test at home that afternoon, so I'd have to get it over with and tell Robert asap, if I was pregnant that was.

In the mean time though, I had to find something  for Robert as I didn't want him so be suspicious if I walked back into the house with nothing in my hands.

                                         ***

There I was, in the bathroom floor waiting for the results. My palms were getting clammy as my fingers tapped and fiddled with whatever there was. I was beyond anxious to see what it'd show.

In all honestly, the results had probably already shown up, but I'd had it flipped over so I didn't have to look at it. But sooner it later I'd have to.

Shakily, I reached my hands over to where the test was and slowly flipped it over with my eyes closed.

Why couldn't I just look at already? What was stopping me?

Quickly and suddenly, I opened my eyes and shot them down to the results, a glossy film blurring my vision in the slightest as the entire situation was stressing me.

That's when my stomach dropped.

Fuck...

This wasn't supposed to happen, it wasn't suppose to play out like this.

"Robert." I cried out, tears slipping out of my eyes and dripping down my face as I rose up. I quickly left the bathroom in search of Robert.

"What's going on baby?" He asked me softly, as he'd appeared in the hallway.

I couldn't even speak I was so upset, all I did was wrap myself around Robert in despair as he attempted to comfort me.

"Hey, what's going on? Is everything alright?" He spoke softly in my ear as he rubbed my back gently.

I pulled away abruptly, knowing that I'd have to show him eventually. I grabbed his hand and took him into the bathroom with me, grabbed the test off of the floor, and handed it to him.

"Oh..." he muttered nervously.

I could tell he was upset about it too, but tried to seem as if he wasn't.

"Well...I guess we need to start buying baby stuff then shouldn't we?" He chuckled with that same nervous tone.

"You're not upset?" I questioned, wiping the tears the continued to flow from my eyes.

"Of course not baby. I know it's not your fault, it's just how life is. And how could I be mad at getting a miniature version of us?" He smiled, cupping my face as the two of us came closer.

At this I chuckled, he always knew how to cheer me back up I suppose.

"I just know it's going to be a lot." I sighed, feeling slightly better about everything after Robert's words.

"Nothing we can't handle." He spoke, before he left a kiss on my forehead and grabbed my hand to pull me into the living room.

"Now come here, let me hold you." He chuckled as he pulled me into his lap while he relaxed into the couch.

"I love you you know, a lot." I spoke softly as my head laid on his shoulder.

"So I'm thinking Lily if it's a girl, and maybe Eric if it's a boy." He ranted cheerfully, somehow happy at the thought of just getting to pick the name.

I found it sort of sweet that he completely ignored what I had previously said just to talk about baby names. I just couldn't understand him.

But even so, I didn't know what I'd do without him.