Chapter 58

"Beta, I'm sorry. You know I had to invite her." Manjari's voice filtered through the phone as Abhimanyu was packing up for the day to go home and get some rest. The whole unpacking of his trauma in front of Akshara had left his insides reeling. He felt too raw and emotional, but he was also more in love than he could have ever imagined, something about telling her and her reaction had been a balm to his tortured soul and maybe that is why he couldn't give two shits about his bua being there at Anisha's engagement.

"Okay." He muttered into the phone "I'll see you tomorrow." Without waiting for a response, he was out of the door.

The next morning, Abhimanyu made it a point to time his arrival along with his families, he hadn't been as present for his siblings as he would have liked, especially because of his tumultuous relationship with Akshara and he wanted to make sure his sister had his support on her big day. He squeezed Anisha's shoulders as they began walking over to the Goenka mansion, whispering a soft "I am so happy for you" all the while actively ignoring his bua's constant chatter.

Goosebumps rose on his arms when they were welcomed at the door by a grinning Akshara looking gorgeous in her lehenga. He felt a deep sense of possessiveness run through him as he gave her a once over, while the lehenga he had gifted was great it was the woman wearing it who gave it the real air of beauty.

"Uh uh, we can't let you enter this easily. What will people say? We didn't even welcome our new Bhabhi properly?" her beautiful voice fanned out over the Birlas. She looked so cute trying to be all tough pouting her lips and blowing air over her fingernails.

"Akshu beta, what is happening?" Manjari asked nervously, but before Akshara could respond, Aarohi bounced up next to her sister "You'll know soon aunty."

Someone began playing some music and the two sisters along with some cousins, Badi Maa and even Mimi began a choreographed dance. Abhimanyu had eyes for nobody but her as she led the dance routine up front with Aarohi. Every time she twirled and moved her hips, he had the insane urge to go in and grab her and kiss that spot he so loved. They all looked so happy and carefree in turn bringing him and his family some much needed joy.

When Akshara bounced over to grab Anisha and pull her in the dance circle, he discreetly ran the back of his palm over her waist, cold from dried sweat and watched in amusement as she fumbled, and her skin broke out into goosebumps. Who would have thought that sneaking around would be this fun? Definitely not him and if anyone had asked him a mere 6 months back he would have scoffed in their face and maybe punched them.

Finally Aarohi and Akshara showered some rose petals on all the Birlas and let them enter once the dancing had wrapped up, as she got to throw some petals at Manjari who was right ahead of him, Manjari pulled her into a hug and cupped her cheeks "You always look beautiful Beta but today? There are no words" she blushed before peering up at him only to be jerked out of their usual trance when his mom continued in a playful tone pointing to him "And is it by coincidence that you both are matching?" Akshara balked and turned beet red, but Manjari simply laughed and walked away.

"You look stunning baby" he whispered as she threw some petals at him and maybe it was the lingering shyness from manjari's words because she blurted out a "You too... I mean you look beautiful umm handsome; you look amazing" before hurriedly turning around and running back to her family.

Abhimanyu was wary that his bua would do something insane today or spoil the event somehow but so far she seemed to be quiet, just observing everything around her, glaring at the Goenkas. He walked up to her and out of sight from everyone, whispered "I won't have you spoiling Anisha's day, I am not my mother, I will drag you through hell and back if you create a nuisance for Anisha today." Not waiting for a response, he stomped over, stony faced, towards Akshara and Aarohi who were standing away from everyone chatting about something animatedly.