Chapter 36

After a night chock-full of sheer misery, he finally made his way to the hospital while it was still pitch-black outside. He knew with the new residents starting their intern year, things would be hectic for him. The last 3 days had made him lose his sanity and he had fallen behind on most of his paper work but not anymore, he vowed to himself. He had started to segregate his days into half surgical days and half clerical days, but ofcourse if a trauma case came through all bets were off and who was he kidding, most days there were multiple trauma cases filtering though the ER. Being a surgeon was his favorite part of the job, everything else was secondary. Soon Abhi was deep up to his eyeballs in paperwork and to his disbelief he still had over a thousand emails to get through. He took a break and was startled to see that I was already close to 8, time to go meet the interns. He had been so engrossed in work that for once she wasn't at the forefront of his mind, but she was as usual floating in the background and the moment he caught a break there she was demanding all his attention. He pulled the hypothetical shutters down on his face and eyes before stalking over to where the interns were gathered and the moment he entered the room, all 5 of them hastily got to their feet stumbling about and he swore he could see one guy shake like a leaf. The new team comprised of 2 women and 3 men, all in their early twenties. He glanced from one to the other without saying a word creating a nervous tension in the air. Good! They should feel it. He shot Aarohi a quick glance but to his relief, she had a mask in place, not even a flicker of recognition in her eyes. But Abhimanyu knew that already, she wasn't the sister he was worried about, it was the other one! But more than her reactions, he was worried about his own for if he showed even a hint of vulnerability his staff will pounce on her with a target painted on her back and while she was strong enough to handle it, he didn't want her to deal with it.

Coming out of his musings, he looked around and gave them a one-line introduction before firing questions one after the other to everyone in the room. He knew he had a terrible reputation, and he obviously did not care but to him what was important was that when under pressure his residents excelled instead of freezing up. They all were bound to make mistakes, but he wanted those mistakes to not be fatal, for their jobs had big repercussions especially if they were on a trauma rotation. He needed them to be able to think on their feet and make the correct decisions under immense pressure and so if he had to be an ogre to them to get the best results so be it. He was pleasantly surprised when Aarohi was the only one who answered all the questions thrown at her correctly, but you wouldn't know about it if you looked at his face. His assistant entered the room and handed out the interns their schedule for the week and Abhimanyu let them know to be on time the days they were meant to shadow him.
Suddenly Abhimanyu felt his heart patter dangerously, AAH she was here. He was by the door and braced a hand on the handle, took a deep breath before walking out and back up to his office. She was here, she was here SHE WAS HERE! His heart screamed. This was going to be harder than he thought, and he was proven correct when he saw her through his cabin walls. She looked so pretty in her blue salwar suit and her hair was flowing freely, his favorite! He had to physically restrict himself from opening the door and going to her, how would he resist her if the mere sight of her brought him this much joy.

He heard and saw her whole exchange with his staff and had to intervene and call Neil. Yes yes he knew he had said he would ignore her but he wasn't going to let the woman he... Let her suffer when it took nothing for him to fix the situation. As neil left with Akshara, Abhimanyu realized that he hadn't gotten even a lick of work done in the past hour and again he had to scramble to get to work before running down to operate on a quick outpatient case when his pager rang.

It was almost 1PM and Abhi hadn't had a single morsel of food and his lack of sleep, turmoiled mind plus hunger was a deadly trio for he became even more of an asshole to people around him as he made his way to the cafeteria. He had just placed his order when he was accosted by a doctor wanting to chat with him about his day... what a clusterfuck of a day. He could feel a tension headache oncoming and wanted to scream at the doctor to leave him the fuck alone. His facial expressions must have warned him away for he slowly moonwalked from there.
He walked away to find a spot for himself to sit and eat and get at least 5 minutes of peace and to his horror and instant rage, he saw Akshara stepping into the cafeteria laughing and joking with the art dude. What the fuck was he saying that was this funny? He wanted to stalk over to her and hug her so she could turn his shitty day around, but he obviously couldn't and that made him more enraged. His horror grew when he realized that she was literally walking over to him without knowing he was there and lo and behold her fleeting attention span caused her to stumble and quite literally fall right into his arms. At the feel of her in his arms, Abhimanyu forgot every reason he had conjured up in the last two days about avoiding her and letting her go. He felt the unrest in him finally quiet down and his anger from a few seconds ago was all but forgotten. She had braced her hands on his shoulder and her hair was flying in her face and her eyes were screwed shut. C'mon show me your eyes before I have to let you go he urged her mentally, it was almost like she could read his thoughts because she opened her beautiful eyes and stared at him before her mouth broke out into her special smile she reserved for him.