Chapter 29

Abhimanyu saw the miserable look on Akshara's face, and he felt like he wanted to flip this stupid dining table over. How fucking dare she make his Akshu cry? He had ignored her taunts and jibes so far for Akshu and his mom, but this was taking things too far even for him. What was her problem with Akshara? This was the 3rd or 4th time she had snarked towards Akshara and he had had enough. He was about to push his chair and stand up to berate her, but his mother somehow caught his hand and squeezed painfully.

He shot a look at his mother with an are you serious expression on his face but Manjari just shook her head, inclining her head towards Anisha. All the fight left his body, of course he couldn't pick fights and yell like he wanted to in front of Anisha's in-laws. He looked up at Akshara's face and he felt so helpless, he saw the anxious look on her face and the tears gathered in her eyes ready to drop and his heart broke for her. He wasn't going to let her be upset especially over someone this inconsequential to her. He slowly flexed his leg and when it came in contact with what had to be her feet he nudged it gently causing her to look up at him in shock with her big beautiful eyes. He gently shook his head at her, urging her to not take HER seriously. He indicated with his eyes for her to continue eating but she stubbornly shook her head, Abhi understood where she was coming from but like hell would he allow someone to ruin his Akshu's appetite and spark. He looked up at everyone around the table to see if anyone was watching before slowly picking up his bowl of kheer and sliding it onto her plate. She once again glanced up at him in surprise before the most beautiful smile graced her face. Abhimanyu winked at her before turning his attention to Akshara's bade papa who seemed to want his opinion on some new hospital policy the govt had recently released. Abhimanyu got into a nice discussion with him, and he realized with a jolt that he genuinely liked Akshu's family. They were everything his family was not and for that he was forever grateful for finally his sister can escape this hell hole and make a better life for herself elsewhere.

All the while he chatted with Bade Papa he had both of Akshara's feet trapped in between his and he refused to let her go. If he were to get through this dinner, he needed her support more than she could ever realize, so this contact with her was more for him than to pacify her. If he couldn't hold her hand, this was the next best option. He refused to look at her for the rest of the dinner because he truly would lose his shit if he saw her sadness reflected all over her face. As he continued to chat with Bade Papa, he heard Bua pipe up from the other end of the table currently having her eyes set on Shefali Bhabhi

"Shefali you work so much, when will you give this family a grandkid?" Buas words caused his Tauji to chime in "Parth doesn't have a stable job, how would they afford to have a kid?"

A blanket of absolute stillness set over the table and Abhimanyu clutched the fork in hand with all his might causing his knuckles to turn white. Oh what he would do to not be here right now, he was counting down until he could escape this hell hole and he wanted to drag Akshara out of here for the fear that the Birla's darkness would rub off on her, which it already seemed to be doing.

"Bhaisahab, Parth works at the NGO doesn't he? In all our circles everyone talks about Rooh with inspiration because it honestly seems like the only one of its kind across the country. You should be proud. In fact Parth didn't you mention that Mr. Batra from Batra textiles all the way from Mumbai recently pledged to donate about 2% of his wealth to your group?" Abhimanyu finally understood where Akshu seemed to have gotten her sense of loyalty and this uncanny knack to fight for the people in her close circles. Her bade papa seemed to be a fair but firm individual.

"Yeah, that's right. Thanks Uncle." Parth Bhai shot a grateful smile to Bade papa and the rest of the dinner seemed to continue without a hitch. Abhimanyu got a call from the hospital as they were wrapping up dinner, and he reluctantly had to let go of Akshara's feet and excuse himself from the dinner table. When he got back after his phone call he noticed that everyone had started moving from the dinner table to the living room except Manjari as she did not want to garner any more of Buaji's wrath, seeing her hang back and help the staff in clearing the table he rolled up his sleeves and started gathering plates and such to make his mom's life easier.