Chapter 57

TRIGGER WARNING: DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Akshara hugged Abhimanyu tighter, especially when she felt his racing heart, he really was worried about whatever he wanted to talk to her about, but she knew that it was pointless, nothing would change her love for him. "Abhi, should we get out of here?" she mumbled into his chest, letting him hide his face in her hair.

"Yeah, can you umm drive us to my place?" she would have almost missed what he had said, his tone was that soft and quivery.

"Of course. How did you get here? Will someone come to get your car?" she untangled herself from him and grabbed his hand and began to pull him out to her car, he seemed so reluctant to walk and was literally dragging his feet.

"Aarohi dropped me here." Akshu heard him whisper as he settled his large body into the passenger seat before dropping his head on the headrest with a thud and closing his eyes.

They drove in silence for what felt like hours before Akshara finally mustered up the courage to begin a one-sided conversation, "You know Abhi, that night at rooh I sang this song which I deliberately picked out for you." She looked over at him but he kept his eyes shut only acknowledging her with a nod. When it seemed like he wasn't going to say anything more, Akshara began singing softly, grabbing one of his hand and dropping it on her thigh, knowing that he would be too stubborn to ask for comfort.

" Aise kyun... uske hothon pe, accha lagta hai mera naam. Aise kyun kuch bhi bole who, mann mein ghulta hai zafraan" (why is it that my name sounds amazing on your lips, why is it that no matter what you say, it feels like the scent of saffron is embedded within me?) She lifted his palm to her lips and kept it there, kissing it softly. She would do anything to take his pain away and he seemed like he was struggling. She felt her eyes tear up, but she wouldn't cry, she would be his strength just like he was hers.

When they got to his apartment, Abhimanyu finally looked over at her and his eyes looked so tormented that Akshara almost stumbled back before bracing herself and taking charge. She pulled him to the bed and made him sit before getting a glass of some of the expensive scotch he kept in one of the cabinets and handing it to him. He looked at the glass for a bit before finally lifting his tortured eyes up towards her "Drink baby" she urged. "I'm going to go shower, okay? Take some time for yourself" when he nodded and began sipping the ambery liquid slowly, she walked over to the bathroom and got into the shower.

When Akshara felt like she had given him enough time to calm his racing thoughts, she walked out of the bathroom dressed in one of his tshirts. Abhimanyu hadn't moved from his position on the bed and he didn't even look up when she walked over to him. He was staring at the empty glass in between his hands, deep in thought. She took the glass from him dropping it on one of the nightstands and straddled his hips, hugging him hard to her chest.

When enough time had passed and he didn't say anything, Akshara pulled back slightly and realized to her horror that the front of her shirt was wet from his tears. "Abhi..." she whispered alarmed. But Abhimanyu's face crumpled in anguish as he shook his head incessantly before burying his face back into her chest. "Shhh..Abhi. It's okay" she stroked the back of his head massaging his scalp, careful not to venture lower.

"Nobody believed me." He finally whispered in an eerie voice making goosebumps rise on her entire body. She kept playing with his hair, knowing that she couldn't break his stupor even if she wanted to. "Nobody helped me." Akshara hugged him tighter dropping her cheek on his head.

"My father..." he inhaled sharply before continuing "My father was a despicable man. I am glad he is dead" Akshara froze at his statement, shit is this what this was about?