98

The car ride to court had turned into an excruciatingly slow journey through the congested London streets

The car ride to court had turned into an excruciatingly slow journey through the congested London streets. What should have been a mere 20-minute drive was stretching beyond an hour. The bustling city was known for its traffic, but today was an exceptional standstill. Alexandra, James, Charles, and Eleanor sat in the black car, their silent anticipation intensifying with each passing minute.

Their driver had urged them to stay put, assuring them that security would arrive to escort them into the court building. However, the dense swarm of reporters and photographers outside painted a different picture. It seemed that security was taking longer than expected.

Finally, a small contingent of police officers arrived at the scene. They attempted to disperse the crowd, and after a few minutes of chaos, the car's doors were opened, allowing the group to exit. Charles held Alexandra close to him, a protective arm wrapped around her waist. As they stepped out into the glaring spotlight of camera flashes, the world around them blurred into a chaotic whirlwind.

The barrage of questions and shouts from the reporters immediately overwhelmed the group.

"Alexandra! Is it true that James Morgan raped you four years ago?"

"James, is it true you had a drug addiction that Alexandra was trying to cover up?"

"Charles! Are you here to support Alexandra? How does it feel to know Jackson—"

"That's enough!" Eleanor, James's wife, cut through the cacophony. She raised her voice above the fray. "Have some decency."

Eleanor's defense inadvertently shifted the reporters' attention to her. The assault of questions and accusations that had been directed at Alexandra and James moments ago now swirled around Eleanor, who stood valiantly by her family's side.

Finally, the police officers managed to create a path for the group. They led the way up the courthouse steps, flanked by Alexandra, Charles, Eleanor, and James. The shouting and flashbulbs persisted, but the intensity lessened as they reached the top of the stairs. The imposing court building loomed before them, offering a sense of refuge from the tumult outside.

The police officers maintained their vigilant positions on either side of the group, ensuring their safety and guiding them past the courthouse's entrance. The automatic doors slid open, and they stepped inside, leaving the chaos behind, if only for a moment. The sudden hush in the air was palpable, and the weight of the upcoming trial bore down on them.

They were now in the cavernous, dimly lit entrance hall of the court building. The cool, echoing silence was a stark contrast to the chaos outside. Eleanor looked around, her eyes filled with concern, while James tried to mask the anxiety that clung to his features.

As the group was instructed to wait, Charles drew Alexandra closer to him, planting a reassuring kiss on her forehead. His grip was gentle but firm, a silent promise that he was right there with her. Alexandra could feel the security of his presence, which helped anchor her frayed nerves.