29

At Menchi's, Charles and his friends were enjoying dinner, but there was an undercurrent of worry and concern

At Menchi's, Charles and his friends were enjoying dinner, but there was an undercurrent of worry and concern. Charles kept glancing at his phone, feeling that something was off. Florence, usually bubbly and talkative, seemed quieter than usual and kept stealing worried glances at Charles.

George, ever the observant one, couldn't help but comment, "You seem really preoccupied, mate. Everything alright?"

Charles awkwardly chuckled, trying to hide his anxiety. "Yeah, yeah, just missing Alexandra," he replied, though he knew that was only a small part of the truth. "She's been in a meeting all afternoon, but she's just asked me to call her."

Florence, sitting next to George, seemed to be on edge, her gaze still flickering to Charles even when he had stepped outside. 

Once outside, Charles quickly dialed Alexandra's number, his heart pounding in his chest as he waited for her to pick up. He couldn't shake the bad feeling that had been gnawing at him all evening.

Finally, Alexandra's voice came through the phone, and Charles felt a mix of relief and concern. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked, his voice full of genuine concern.

There was a slight pause before she replied, "I'm okay, Charles," her voice sounding tired. "I'm just tired and overwhelmed, you know? It's been a long day."

Charles nodded, even though she couldn't see him. "I can only imagine," he said sympathetically. "Whatever meeting it was, you were in there for hours."

"I know," Alexandra said softly, her voice betraying her vulnerability. "To be honest, it ended an hour and a half ago, but I went to visit the market on my way into the hotel." Charles could hear her smile through the phone, but he could also hear how hard she was trying not to cry. 

"Yeah? That sounds great, mon ange." Charles said softly. "But whats really going on? I can hear it in your voice."

She took a deep breath, the sound coming through the phone. "I should have known," she chuckled. "You know me too well." she paused for another moment, sucking in a deep breath. "I'm not at meetings. I'm sorry for lying to you. I can't tell you where I am, but I promise I'm okay. I've not run away again. I'm just visiting some old family friends." 

She was still lying. 

Charles rolled his eyes, noticing straight away. He wasn't angry that she wanted time alone, he was angry that she didn't tell him where she was going. "Where are you, Alexandra?" 

"Charles," she sighed. "I'm not telling you. Please, let's not fight. I don't have the energy. I just need to hear your voice, Mon Amor. Tell me about your day."

They continued to talk for a few more minutes, Charles doing his best to comfort her and offer his support. Eventually, she seemed to be in a slightly better mood, and Charles decided to take a chance.