51

SIX YEARS AGO

The day of the race had arrived the air electric with anticipation and excitement. James was in the garage, getting ready for his race, his focus set squarely on the task at hand. The engine's hum, the mechanics' movements, and the atmosphere of the paddock surrounded him.

However, his concentration was disrupted when an unwelcome presence sauntered into the garage. Theo LaGuarde, the F2 driver who had been flirting with Alexandra, entered with a self-assured grin on his face. He greeted James with a casual nod, as if they were old acquaintances catching up.

Theo's tone was light as he quipped, "So, who's the hot girl at the bar, man? Your girlfriend?" James, trying to remain focused, replied that she was family without going into any details. He hoped that would be enough to dissuade Theo from pursuing the subject further.

But Theo seemed undeterred, and his curiosity was accompanied by a crude grin. He leaned against a nearby wall, clearly enjoying the attention he was getting from James. "Family, huh? Well, she's definitely a sight for sore eyes. You're a lucky guy, mate."

James clenched his fists, his jaw tightening as he struggled to contain his rising anger. He attempted to brush Theo off, concentrating on his preparations for the race. But Theo was relentless, following him around the garage as if he was somehow entitled to James's attention.

As Theo continued to taunt James, his words grew more brazen. "You know, I've got my eyes set on her. Planning to take her home with me after I win today's F2 race. What do you think?"

James's blood boiled at the audacity of Theo's comments. The memories of his sister's ordeal at the hands of another man – Jackson – surged to the forefront of his mind. The vivid images of her pain and fear were enough to make his hands shake with rage.

Theo's taunting seemed to echo in his ears, and his vision blurred for a moment as he fought to control his emotions. He wanted to lash out, to defend his sister's honor, but he knew that violence wasn't the answer.

Taking a deep, steadying breath, James locked eyes with Theo, his voice low and dangerous. "You need to back off, Theo. She's off-limits." The intensity in his gaze made it clear that he was not to be trifled with.

But instead of heeding the warning, Theo's response was mocking and defiant. He scoffed at James's words and retorted, "Oh, come on, man. What's the big deal? She's fair game, just like any other hot girl here. She's coming home with me, I bet. If I win today, she'll be like any other fame-hungry slut."

The impact of Theo's words hit James like a sucker punch to the gut. His breathing quickened, and his chest tightened as signs of his PTSD began to surface. The room seemed to close in around him, and the noise of the garage became distant and distorted.

His heart raced, and the faces of his past – his sister's terrified eyes, Jackson's menacing presence – flashed before his eyes. The memories mixed with his own fear, creating a maelstrom of emotions that threatened to engulf him.