23

The roar of engines filled the air as Charles found himself in the midst of the first race of the 2021 season

The roar of engines filled the air as Charles found himself in the midst of the first race of the 2021 season. Adrenaline coursed through his veins as the lights went out, and Charles surged forward, skillfully maneuvering through the first corner. 

He'd started in P3, with Lewis in P2 and Max on the pole. 

As he battled, Charles went wheel-to-wheel with Max and Lewis on the second corner, each of them eager to push ahead into first. Everything seemed normal until Hamilton suddenly swerved to avoid Verstappen, backing out of the fight as he realized there wasn't enough room for three cars along the chicane. 

Charles and Max didn't stop. 

Charles felt his heart drop as he saw another car take advantage of Lewis backing down, fighting to push through before the next turn.

Time seemed to slow down as Charles watched in horror.

Lewis' car hit the other car with a loud screech, with Lewis' car spinning out into the barrier. The other car flipped through the air multiple times, like a spinning top, before hitting a barrier and bouncing off, bursting into flames as someone in the crowd screamed. 

The scene unfolded in agonizing slow motion, every detail etched in Charles's mind.

His heart pounded in his chest as he frantically looked around to see whose car it was. He needed to make sure Lexi was safe. Over the team radio, he desperately called out to Xavi, his race engineer, seeking answers.

"Xavi, who was that? Is Lexi okay?" Charles asked, his voice shaking with worry. His stomach was in knots, and as he glanced once more at the fire, he realized that Max was doing the same. 

After a few agonizing seconds, Xavi's voice came through the radio, somber and grave. "It's Lexi's car, Charles. She's unresponsive."

A wave of panic washed over Charles as he heard those words. Without hesitation, he veered the car towards the gravel, not noticing that a few other drivers did the same, concerned about Lexi.

Over the speakers, he could hear the sound of Lexi's radio being broadcast, her radio engineer Paddy asking her to respond. 

"Alexandra? Lexi? Lex, please respond." the tension and fear in his voice were evident. "Lex-,"

"Help me," her voice replied, crackling and broken through the radio. "Please, help me."

"Alexandra Heroux is responsive, and Emergency Stewards are on site." Crofty's voice sounded concerned as the commentary went silent, obviously realizing the magnitude of the situation. 

Without another thought, Charles leaped out of the car and ran down the side of the track, his heart pounding in his chest, screaming Lexi's name. Every second felt like an eternity as he desperately searched for her through the flames.